Keeping and using more than one Processing version on same machine

edited June 2015 in Using Processing

I've dealt with this many times before, and I'm afraid I don't recall how I did it. I know I ended up editing the registry at some point.

I would like to be able to keep more than one version of Processing on one machine (for example, the latest stable build and the latest alpha version) and decide which one to use. This way I can play with the most recent version but keep the older one in case something doesn't work.

But in Windows I have always had trouble switching between versions (for example, it is tricky to change the default application which runs on a double-click of a PDE), and I have even had the problem where double-clicking on processing.exe inside, say the 3.0a10 folder will open up the processing.exe in the 3.0a5 folder! (I guess I don't really understand what exactly is happening when I double click on this executable.)

Is there some guide on-line or forum post which deals with switching back and forth between Processing versions on one machine? I tried to search but I can't come up with anything.

Answers

• Thanks for the response! But I'm afraid this is not quite the problem I am dealing with. I am not talking about libraries, but rather Processing itself. In my Windows environment I always struggle with changing which processing.exe executes when I double-click on a PDE.

• edited June 2015

Each extension type is assigned to 1 executable only for double-click and default purposes.
    Right-click and choose "Open with" in order to choose a particular app for it.
    Particularly I just open all my ".pde" files inside the PDE w/ CTRL+O.
    Open Recent is an excellent option too.

• edited June 2015

Same here. I run the Processing version I want, then I open the sketch from there. Windows hasn't a simple way to choose dynamically which exe to run when double-clicking (Open With might be a solution).
    Or you can tweak the registry to show several verbs on a right-click on a .pde file. Not hard, but need some research.