How to properly invoke a Processing sketch from terminal on mac?

hello everyone.. I've tried to run a processing sketch from terminal. Following are the steps on my terminal.

sh-006669-hp:~ saurabh.datta$ cd Documents

sh-006669-hp:Documents saurabh.datta$ ls

Arduino         ffmpeg          python_stuff
Microsoft User Data index.py        test_py_page.py
Processing      of_v0.8.4_osx_release   trial_de_flask_uno.py
SimpleCV        opencv-3.0.0-rc1

sh-006669-hp:Documents saurabh.datta$ cd Processing

sh-006669-hp:Processing saurabh.datta$ ls

iteration_101   modes       templates
libraries   rekog_101   tools
sh-006669-hp:Processing saurabh.datta$ cd iteration_101

sh-006669-hp:iteration_101 saurabh.datta$ ls

data            rekog_101
iteration_101.pde   sketch.properties

sh-006669-hp:iteration_101 saurabh.datta$ mkdir outputDir

sh-006669-hp:iteration_101 saurabh.datta$ ls

data            outputDir       sketch.properties
iteration_101.pde   rekog_101

sh-006669-hp:iteration_101 saurabh.datta$ processing-java --run --force --output="./outputDir" --sketch="../iteration_101"

../iteration_101 does not exist.

My sketch's name is iteration_101.pde. As you can see I've even made a output folder.. But is unable to run it..

I don't have any clue what's happening?

Answers

• Why ../iteration_101? You are in this folder already, you must not go up.

• edited May 2015

I tried it.. here's the output

sf-003840-apw:~ saurabh.datta$ cd Documents/Processing
    sf-003840-apw:Processing saurabh.datta$ ls
    iteration102    libraries   rekog_101   test
    iteration_101   modes       templates   tools
    sf-003840-apw:Processing saurabh.datta$ processing-java --run --force --output="/iteration102/outputDir" --sketch="/iteration_102"
    /iteration_102 does not exist.
    sf-003840-apw:Processing saurabh.datta$ processing-java --run --force --output=/iteration102/outputDir --sketch=/iteration_102
    /iteration_102 does not exist.
    sf-003840-apw:Processing saurabh.datta$ processing-java --run --force --output=./iteration102/outputDir --sketch=../iteration_102
    ../iteration_102 does not exist.
    sf-003840-apw:Processing saurabh.datta$ 

• /iteration_102 doesn't work either, as you indicate a folder on the root of your disk. Try ./iteration_102

• edited May 2015

Thanks #PhiLho. (But still no luck) let me state you my condition: I'm in my Processisng sketch book folder

167:processing saurabh.datta$ ls libraries simple_server templates tools modes sketches themeChange And I want to run the simple_server sketch. So next I got into the dir

167:processing saurabh.datta$ cd simple_server 167:simple_server saurabh.datta$ ls simple_server.pde sketch.properties

after that I tried to run and again I got this

167:simple_server saurabh.datta$ processing-java --run --force -- output=/outPutDir --sketch=./simple_server ./simple_server does not exist.

alternatively I came a step out of the simple_server dir and again tried this.

167:simple_server saurabh.datta$ cd .. 167:processing saurabh.datta$ processing-java --run --force --output=/simple_server/outPutDir --sketch=./simple_server ./simple_server does not exist.

Since now you know the tree, can you help me write the terminal command?

• Answer ✓

Hard to tell, but from the sketch folder (the one where you see the simple_server folder), you can try the command:

processing-java --run --force --output=./outPutDir --sketch=./simple_server

Note the ./ before outPutDir, as /outPutDir is probably wrong too.

[EDIT] I tried on my Windows computer, and got the same error... Apparently, Processing doesn't like relative paths, it wants absolute paths.

• Didn't work:

167:~ saurabh.datta$ cd Documents/processing 167:processing saurabh.datta$ processing-java --run --force --output=./outPutDir --sketch=./simple_server ./simple_server does not exist.

• Answer ✓

See my remark in the [EDIT] section...

• Sorry to ask this idiotic question: so you mean not ./simple_server but /Macintosh HD/Users/saurabh.datta/Documents/simple_server ?

• Answer ✓

Should be /Macintosh HD/Users/saurabh.datta/Documents/Processing/simple_server or something like that, no? If I followed correctly the previous messages.
    But, yes, something like that. Have you tried?

• Yeah tried. No sucess. I mean when you log in terminal on mac(I'm not a n avid mac user as well), It directly load as from the user as 167:~ saurabh.datta$.

Why the processing wiki doesn't have a proper example on that. Not the help is of actual help..

• Answer ✓

I don't understand your sentence. Go inside your sketch folder, type the pwd command. It should give you the absolute path of your sketch. Copy this path and use it in the command line. You must have an absolute path for the output dir as well. You can make it /tmp perhaps.

• Works so here's what I did:

`173:~ saurabh.datta$ cd Documents

173:Documents saurabh.datta$ ls

Arduino of_v0.8.4_osx_release FFMPEG during installation info.rtf opencv-3.0.0-rc1 Microsoft User Data python_stuff Processing servo_dimensions.jpg index.py test_py_page.py iphone5blueprints.jpg trial_de_flask_uno.py

173:Documents saurabh.datta$ cd processing

173:processing saurabh.datta$ ls

aYearInCode-glitch.zip simple_server themeChange libraries sketches tools modes templates

173:processing saurabh.datta$ cd simple_server

173:simple_server saurabh.datta$ ls

outPutDir simple_server.pde sketch.properties

173:simple_server saurabh.datta$ pwd

/Users/saurabh.datta/Documents/processing/simple_server

173:simple_server saurabh.datta$ cd\

173:~ saurabh.datta$ processing-java --run --force --output=/Users/saurabh.datta/Documents/processing/simple_server/outPutDir --sketch=/Users/saurabh.datta/Documents/processing/simple_server/

Listening for transport dt_socket at address: 8220 Finished. 173:~ saurabh.datta$ `

• edited May 2015

here's a gif that I just made for people to see the steps: s17.postimg.org/8xx5gfakf/running_Processing_From_Terminal.gif