Installation on Raspberry Pi 2 (Model B)

I just got an Raspberry Pi 2 (Model B) and thought it would be fun to test out Processing and the RPi's graphics capabilities. However, I am totally new to both RPi and Linux, and installing things on Linux. (Uh oh, here we go.)

I have the RPi running successfully with the latest version of NOOBS (1.4.0, I believe). Command line access is good, and I can run the default GUI (startx).

I installed Chromium, booted into the GUI, and downloaded Processing from processing.org/download. Not knowing whether I needed the 32- or 64-bit version, I downloaded both. I extracted the ZIPs. Good so far.

Now, how do I actually run/execute Processing? Double clicking the icon in the GUI does nothing. (Is this normal?) I found somewhere that I should use the shell to open Processing, so I cd to the directory where I extracted it, and ./processing to run it. Then I receive an error:

processing-2.2.1_32bit/java/bin/java: Syntax error: end of file unexpected (expecting ")")

I get the same error with the 64-bit version.

Any ideas how to resolve this? Is this really a missing parenthesis, or an extraction/encoding issue, or something else? Many thanks in advance!

This thread from 2014 may be related.

Answers