We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexDiscussionGeneral Discussion,  Status › Changing Forum Software
Pages: 1 2 
Changing Forum Software (Read 10516 times)
Re: Changing Forum Software
Reply #15 - Jun 11th, 2010, 7:15am

I'm on the fence with the beginner and programming question forums.  I see pros and cons both ways.  An advantage I see with having the separation is for answering questions.  Intermediate Processing users, like me, might find it easier to answer questions and focus in a beginner forum, while leaving some of the more advanced questions to the pros.

If the main forum page is set to something like Recent Posts (which I prefer over the forum list), then it shouldn't matter much.  The forums just help categorize the posts and would be secondary to the overall discourse.
Reply #16 - Jun 11th, 2010, 10:11am

I am wondering about a hardware forum for the new forum

anything from video card to sound card, motherboard ...  to video camera and projector  - processing is a lot sweeter with all these add ons but there doesn't seems to have a place to discuss these.

There is more and more peripherals that connect into processing (Nintendo DS - Wii nunchuk - arduino - anything that talk osc...   to name a few) and outputting processing is always more fun on a projector or trough other media.

Reply #17 - Jun 11th, 2010, 11:02am

thats true, hardware forum would be a good addition...
alot of questions are about different kind of video cards, what computer is the best. or even arduino, wii motes, and all that stuff...
Reply #18 - Jun 12th, 2010, 8:40am

Here's a new list to scrutinize that reflects the comments:
- Getting Started and Programming Questions are rolled into one
- Programming questions is first
- Hardware has been added to the Integration section
- A general discussion category was created, with the idea that it can be even more free form than on this board

01 Programming Questions
Ask questions about a Processing program you are writing.

02 Exhibition
Share and discuss your Processing programs.

03 Events and Opportunities
Promote processing-related conferences, courses, workshops, books, concerts, articles, jobs, etc.

04 Core Libraries
Questions about programs using the Video, Network, OpenGL, Serial, PDF, Minim, or SXF Export libraries.

05 Contributed Libraries
Questions about a contributed library: http://processing.org/reference/libraries/

06 Integration and Hardware
Discuss Processing and other systems and hardare (Linux, Java, PHP, MySQL, Eclipse, Video cards, joysticks, etc.)

07 Processing Implementations
Discussions about Processing.js, Processing and Ruby, Python, ActionScript, Scala, etc.

08 Library Development
Discuss creating Processing libraries, extensions to the code.

09 Tool Development
Discuss creating Processing tools, extensions to the environment.

10 Processing Core Development
Discuss building, refining, and delousing the Processing code.

11 General Discussion
Open conversation about Processing and related subjects.

Notes:
* Move all bug and suggestions discussion to Google Code
* Move project announcements to a blog?
Reply #19 - Jun 12th, 2010, 8:51am

This looks good to me.

just another thought. As you are putting a lot of effort lately in doing processing for android, where would it go?  "07 Processing Implementations ?" I would at least mention it somehwhere.
Reply #20 - Jun 12th, 2010, 11:20am

At the moment, Android Processing will have a separate forum. That's still in progress, though.
Reply #21 - Jun 12th, 2010, 12:22pm

Do we get enough forum discussion for three development forums (Libraries, Tools, and Core)?  Similarly, the separation between core library questions and contributed libraries.  Wonder if it would make sense to combined 04 + 05, and combined 09+10+11.  Seems like much of the core code discussions would likely take place on Google anyway.   Again, it may not matter depending on the structure, if they're just categories, but I thought I would mention it.
Reply #22 - Jun 13th, 2010, 1:30am

Quote:
Do we get enough forum discussion for three development forums

Not sure if the number of messages in each forum is relevant.
The interest to have a separate libraries forum is, for example, for library contributors which can have a quick look to see if threads are about their library.
And questions on core libraries can be answered by anybody (since they are shipped with Processing) while those with specialized libraries need to have them (and some knowledge of them), so it makes sense to separate them.
Tools are a different beast, although perhaps it can make sense to group them with the PDE-related section. Which should be mentioned in the forum title: there are more questions about the PDE itself than about the core, which look more like bug reports on the language. And these are often more bugs in user's code than in core (although there are also genuine cases).

Now, 05 & 07 are close: we often see lot of questions in the announcement of libraries even if it is currently suggested to separate them. Now, perhaps it is a question of discipline from the library makers: if somebody ask questions there, they should direct them to the other forum.
Reply #23 - Jun 16th, 2010, 11:26am

Hi, I'd love to have the various fora in a different form.  This one is so 80's!  Particularly, I'd like to see each forum mirrored with an email list!

How about just moving them to Google Groups?

Bill
Reply #24 - Jun 17th, 2010, 4:36am

Not everybody likes e-mail lists (there are often fierce discussions in mailing lists between those preferring forums and those sticking to ML).
Beside, the canonical example of Zoho forums is precisely the jQuery forum which was created because Google Groups had lot of issues...
Reply #25 - Jun 17th, 2010, 9:46am

I still think you'd do a lot better with a mailing list than with this (IMO) bizarre forum setup.  I suppose there are folks who got used to BBS systems in the 70's and have never progressed to good email tools, but they must be rare by now.

My advice then would be to do a dual -- mirror the new forum with the Mailman software you've already got running on your site, so that those who wish to can continue to click on the cute Mosaic icons to communicate, and others can view/contribute via email.  All goes into one big mix.
Reply #26 - Jun 17th, 2010, 10:53am

i cant stand mailing lists. not for me Smiley
Reply #27 - Jun 17th, 2010, 8:01pm

I do like the somewhat lightweight feel of the current boards. Sometimes I think there's great power in simplicity. I guess my main concern would be that the new forum be fast, and the thought of widgets and add-ons just makes me shiver! If it works well though I wouldn't be complaining.

Also, I just got a shiny new Droid to play with, so something with good mobile support would be fantastic! Wink

Anyways, I'm sure whatever you decide on will be excellent!

Jack

Pages: 1 2