We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpSyntax Questions › Null Pointer Exception on basic animation
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Null Pointer Exception on basic animation (Read 880 times)
Null Pointer Exception on basic animation
May 27th, 2010, 2:38am

Summary: Can't figure out why I'm getting this Null Pointer Exception error.

I am new to Processing and to programming in general.  I am trying to model a concept in nonlinearity in statistics.  The concept is vicious cycles in success and failure, where one's chance for success in a win or lose event are higher if they were successful in the last event.  The math is simple; one's chances for winning in the next event are 75% if they won in the last event, otherwise it is 25%.  

I've built this into a class so I can visualize it.  Basically, an ellipse moves at a constant speed from left to right, incrementing vertically up 5 pixels for each success and down for each failure.  I want to make this work for one object, then add multiple objects to see what it looks like.

The logic is simple.  I created two arrays of 100 outcomes, one with 75 wins ( 1's) and 25 losses (0's) to reflect the probability of winning after a win, and the other for the probability of winning after a lose.  Then depending on whether the last event was a win or lose, I pick the appropriate array and randomly select an outcome to determine the result of the current event.  

In trying to reflect this is basic vector movement logic, I am getting a Null Pointer Exception error, with the player.update() method in draw being highlighted.

Code:
Player player;

void Setup() {
 size(500,500);
 background(50);

player = new Player();
}

void draw() {
 noStroke();

player.update();
 player.checkEdges();
 player.display();
}

class Player {

PVector location;
 PVector velocity;

Player() {
   location = new PVector(0,height/2);
   velocity = new PVector(1,0);
 }

void update() {
   /*create two sets of outcomes, one if the last event was a win, one   for it was a loss*/
   int[] winProbOutcomes = new int[100];  
   int[] loseProbOutcomes = new int[100];
   for (int i = 0; i < 100; i++) {
if(i<=75) {
 winProbOutcomes[i] = 1;
}else{
 winProbOutcomes[i]=0;
}
   }
   for (int j = 0; j< 100; j++) {
if (j<=25) {
 loseProbOutcomes[j] = 1;
}else{
 loseProbOutcomes[j] = 0;
}
   }
   //start from a random outcome for first event
   float lastEvent = random(2);
   //get an outcome from the set based on lastEvent
   int outcome;
   if(lastEvent == 1) {
outcome = winProbOutcomes[int(random(100))];
   }else{
outcome = loseProbOutcomes[int(random(100))];
   }
   //convert to vertical increment
   int increment;
   if (outcome == 1) {
increment = 5;
   }else{
increment = -5;
   }
   //set velocity.y to increment
   velocity.y = increment;

location.add(velocity);
 }

void display() {
   stroke(0);
   fill(175);
   ellipse(location.x,location.y,8,8);
 }

void checkEdges() {

if (location.x > width) {
location.x = 0;
   }

if (location.y > height) {
location.y = 0;
   }  else if (location.y < 0) {
location.y = height;
   }
 }
}
Re: Null Pointer Exception on basic animation
Reply #1 - May 27th, 2010, 3:13am

Your setup method is not called since it is named Setup (capital S).
Method names are case sensitive - change it to setup() and everything will be fine
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1