We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpIntegration › PDE does not start on ubuntu 9.04
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
PDE does not start on ubuntu 9.04 (Read 2543 times)
PDE does not start on ubuntu 9.04
May 18th, 2010, 7:35am

hi
i'm new here and would really appreciate it if some one could please explain to me how to get PDE running on ubuntu 9.04.
i downloaded and extracted the linux file from the processing website to my home dir. tried to open the PDE by double clicking the processing file in the main folder. nothing happened. so i installed java 6 jdk and jre from sun microsystems. but still can't get the PDE to start. any help from anyone is greatly appreciated.
Re: PDE does not start on ubuntu 9.04
Reply #1 - May 18th, 2010, 10:04am

run it from within a terminal and see if there's an error message
Reply #2 - May 19th, 2010, 3:28am

Just make sure the script is executable.

martin_p wrote on Mar 29th, 2010, 11:45am:
It seems very unlikely to me that the processing script has the wrong file permissions  (which is what your problem looks like to me). Simple solution if that is the case:-
chmod +x processing
Smiley

You shouldn't need the sun-jdk, however if you want to use that instead of the one supplied with the ide it is more complicated (but thats what I do because I use the the sun jdk with netbeans).
Reply #3 - Jun 13th, 2010, 1:37pm

hi there
thank you for your suggestions. i have managed to get processing working on ubuntu 9.04 it was just simply as martin_p suggested that the processing script file was not executable.
many thanks for the help.
Smiley
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1