We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexDiscussionExhibition › SnakeStomp - DDR Style Arcade Game
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
SnakeStomp - DDR Style Arcade Game (Read 1761 times)
SnakeStomp - DDR Style Arcade Game
May 13th, 2010, 9:23am

Hi, I'm currently working on a game called SnakeStomp, it's a DDR style arcade game that uses an Arduino mini Pro connected to 4 stomp pads. Each stomp pad has 4 tri colored LEDs and an accelerometer to detect when it's been stomped on.

The stomp pads are connect to a pc running a Processing sketch I wrote to take the inputs of the stomp pads and move a snake around the screen. The game makes uses of the MSAFluid, Minim, Serial and OpenGL libraries.

The whole game will be released with source code once it's a little cleaner, I'm not a very good programmer so...I'd like to save myself as much embarrassment as possible.

I made a little video of the game in action and put it on youtube, but apparently I can't post links, so search for "SnakeStomp".

I thought it might be fun to add a joystick and some arcade buttons to control misc variables in the game like camera angle, box size, color and whatnot.

Let me know what you guys think, critiques are welcome!
Re: SnakeStomp - DDR Style Arcade Game
Reply #1 - May 14th, 2010, 1:09am

Your IHM with stomp pads is quite original and attractive so you can use it in multiple old arcade game style like PacMan one.

The game could be better rendered for the snake part but it's quite nice (MSAFluid add a nice touch to the game appearance). Are you thinking of making a mix with snake game and tron one You can make a multiplayers game and i think it's could be funny for the players with this IHM.. no

(I'm also programming an arcade game, and you can add some comments too here)
Re: SnakeStomp - DDR Style Arcade Game
Reply #2 - May 17th, 2010, 3:07pm

Your game looks awesome, I imagine there is a bit I could learn from the code.

The SnakeStomp game is actually multi-player, but for the way it will be presented at Maker Faire, it's only going to allow for one player mode. I think it starts to look a lot better when there are multiple snakes with all the different colors blending together using MSA fluid...but I suppose I'll have to add more stomp pads or some other way of controlling the players.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1