We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpElectronics,  Serial Library › Web enabled Arduino via Processing
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Web enabled Arduino via Processing (Read 2625 times)
Web enabled Arduino via Processing
May 10th, 2010, 6:11am

I hope this isn't too vague, but what is the best way to make an Arduino web-enable via Processing? As of know I have a simple Processing program that turns on an LED on the Arduino when you click the mouse. I'd like be able to put to Processing applet on my website and control the LED over the web. Simply exporting this in the Processing and putting the resulting files on my webserver didn't seem to work.

Basically I am looking for information on how to do this. Any suggestions?  Is it easier with any specific OS? I have Linux, Mac OSX, and Windows to work with.

Thanks.
Re: Web enabled Arduino via Processing
Reply #1 - May 15th, 2010, 3:01pm

Hi, I've been trying to do this as well, but from what I've gathered from various sources is that it's not possible. When you export a Java/Processing applet you lose some functionality for greater security.

What I've done alternatively is to use Processing.js (a port of Processing to JavaScript that renders graphics in the HTML5 canvas object) to create the GUI, and PHP to glue it to the Arduino.

The advantage of Processing.js is obviously that it allows you to get Processing and the Arduino communicating via a browser, but also that you can display your Processing based GUI on browsers that don't support Java plugins (Android and iPhone for example). The disadvantage is that it won't work natively in Internet Explorer because Microsoft won't implement a standard HTML5 canvas object.

There are a few projects created to work around this IE problem though.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1