We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexDiscussionExhibition › Visualizing Flows
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Visualizing Flows (Read 3417 times)
Visualizing Flows
May 7th, 2010, 3:56pm

hey all,

I just posted on my blog a few images of rendered sculptures based on visualizations of fluid flows around objects, done with a small prog I developed in processing, TN7. Program is also available +source

EDIT: Just for credits sake, TN7 is based on the MSAFluid library.

Link:

http://prototy.blogspot.com/2010/05/visualizing-flows.html

Re: Visualizing Flows
Reply #1 - May 8th, 2010, 9:30am

This looks very cool.  (Half of my grad school work dealt with flows past an airfoil.)

I think I recognize the last three "sculptures" as representing the flow past the airfoil in the last picture.  What are the objects obstructing the flow in the other images?
Reply #2 - May 8th, 2010, 10:57am

nice work...

can imagine some uses for this in design & architecture.

regards,

corneel
Reply #3 - May 8th, 2010, 5:19pm

looks nice
Reply #4 - May 8th, 2010, 7:01pm

thank you all for commenting

@smitty: Thanks. The first three images are a result of an airfoil too, with different simulation parameters and a different angle. The middle ones that look jagged are a result of simple 'lines' (planes) and 'thrusters', linear elements that increase the fluid flow perpendicular to their direction.

@introspector: While this started as a personal obsession with fluid dynamics, an application to a design field was always in the back of my head, being an architect myself. I could imagine i.e. combining user specified surfaces with flow-induces surfaces and textures to "augment" designs by introducing new features to user-specified geometry. One such (maybe not so cutting edge) example could be streamlining in industrial design.
So if it just happens that you come across any application related to fluid dynamics I'd be really excited to know!

Thanks again
Reply #5 - May 12th, 2010, 1:13am

Nice renders, very cool!

rS
Reply #6 - May 17th, 2010, 10:44am

Nice...
Reply #7 - May 17th, 2010, 1:02pm

what can i say. i guess i add another NICE!
Reply #8 - May 19th, 2010, 12:01pm

Excellent work!  Your flows are very creative, and with dark and light simulate flows.   Smiley
Reply #9 - May 19th, 2010, 3:37pm

Thanks a lot to everyone! Your comments are very encouraging!
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1