We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpSyntax Questions › calculating distance in the gpu
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
calculating distance in the gpu (Read 1357 times)
calculating distance in the gpu
Apr 24th, 2010, 5:05pm

Hello i was seeing that  latety theres a new trend of using the gpu to make computations, i been reading about opencl and gpgpu, i was wondering if its possible to calculate distance between objects in the gpu?
Do anybody have tried this in processing? if not which do you think would be the best way for making this?

what do you suggest me?

thanks

S.
Re: calculating distance in the gpu
Reply #1 - Apr 25th, 2010, 2:02am

Its not something thats really apart of Processing, I think the idea of the sketch book is the best way to put it. They never really lay out that Processing is just a sort of intense Java library. What I am leading to is that when you ask can you do it in Processing its more about can you do it in Java. The short answer is yes definitely but its complicated and won't be worth it.

You would be amazed at how much you can get just out of Processing. If you get to a point where you really need something like calculating on the gpu your insane.

If on the other hand what you are the guy who isn't trying to make a cool program and just wants to fiddle around with things like that Processing is not a good place to do that.
Reply #2 - Apr 25th, 2010, 3:05am

i think you are wrong , i was using processing a lot for sketchin some ideas of agent interaction, in agent interaction theres always that limitation , you cant get too much agents because of that. You can improve your numbers of agents using some optimizing libraries or clases like hashgrid or calculating the agents  as vertex point, but theres always this bootleneck called calculating distance, i think calculating distance in the gpu would be a great advance for making more complex sketches and experiments in agents simulation in processing
Reply #3 - Apr 25th, 2010, 7:42am

you might want to check out papers of the subject. that is not a trivial thing and won't be able to do with processing, but it is possible to *run* in processing.

here is something you might want to look into: http://isis.dia.unisa.it/projects/behavert/

also get cuda SDK or even directx SDK, they are good resources for what you're looking for.
Reply #4 - Apr 25th, 2010, 12:27pm

Maybe it's already helpful to start another thread in processing to calculate distances - or half of the flock by one thread, other half by the other...
Wink
Reply #5 - Apr 25th, 2010, 2:39pm

I don't doubt for a minute that it would be an amazing thing.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1