We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpIntegration › Ubuntu logs off
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Ubuntu logs off (Read 9187 times)
Ubuntu logs off
Apr 21st, 2010, 10:12am

Hi,

I extracted Processing into /opt and changed the permissions - typical stuff. It opens properly, but trying to Run some code it logs me off my Gnome session. The screen goes blank (immediately with no questions!) and the login screen shows again. I had this problem some time ago as well with a fresh installation of Ubuntu. But on the other hand I used to work in Processing on the same machine with the same Ubuntu (9.10 Karmic Koala) with no problems.
Any ideas, what can i do?!

Best from Poland,
trzewiczek

PS - It's even worse: sometimes it works perfectly, sometimes logs me off the Gnome. Embarrassed
Re: Ubuntu logs off
Reply #1 - Apr 29th, 2010, 12:17am

Anyone any ideas? I'm quite desperate, because I constantly loose some work. I so panic that I save almost every line of code... Please, help!!
Reply #2 - May 2nd, 2010, 2:33am

I have the same issue. I'm using Ubuntu 10.04. I'm quite new to Linux so I'm not sure how to approach the problem. Two things may be relevant...

I'm using a generic video driver as the new Lynx one doesn't work with mine straight off. Also I've tried installing various java SDKs including changing from the new open one to the Sun version.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Nick
Reply #3 - May 2nd, 2010, 3:52am

it's fine here.

the one thing i did have problems with was 3d effects in the desktop.

System - Preferences - Appearance - Visual Effects

mine's now set to Normal. it was Extra but OpenGL sketches would lead to a corrupted display. it didn't quite kill my x server, but rebooting was the only way to recover.

Sun Java 1.6.0_16
NVidia graphics (Card: GT130M, Drivers: 185.18.36)
Ubuntu 9.10, 32 bit (Koala)
Reply #4 - May 2nd, 2010, 7:28am

Okay, well I seem to be making some progress of sorts...

I was getting the problem consistently even just running 'size (600,400);'

Installing the 'fglrx' package through Synaptic seems to fix this and so far enables me to run basic Processing sketches.

However, I am quite keen to learn how to use the anar+ library which needs the openGL library as well. Unfortunately installing the 'fglrx' package seems to break my systems openGL. Running 'glxgears' in Terminal works without 'fglrx' but just returns a 'Segmentation fault' with it.

All very annoying.

To get Lusty Lynx to work at all I had to add 'nomodeset' to grub so I'm assuming that most of this is nothing to do with Processing at all and rather to do with my graphics setup not being quite right - though really I'm a bit out of my depth...

Reply #5 - May 2nd, 2010, 12:04pm

To take the opposite approach I have just uninstalled fglfx and reinstalled the open source driver (see https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Troubleshooting/FglrxInteferesWithRadeonDriver). It still crashes with a simple 'size (600,500);' however importing the openGL library and using 'size (600,500,OPENGL);' doesn't crash.

So to sum up, it seems that the fglfx driver works for 2d and the ati driver works for openGL. Not ideal but there we are.
Reply #6 - May 5th, 2010, 10:58pm

Hi,

I couldn't manage the problem and my job was very unsecure. I moved to Fedora 12 for other reasons and... no problems as for now. Yesterday I had my classes and everything went just fine. If it will happen with Fedora as well finally I will report that here, but for now it works as a good solution for me (it's a nice distro btw).

all the best everyone
trzewiczek
Reply #7 - May 8th, 2010, 12:37pm

Just to follow up on previous posts. I have subsequently stuck with the open source driver (after following the ubuntu reinstallation guide) and I have also reinstalled the open java development kit, as well as the icedtea plugin, as well as installing processing into /opt. And since then it has all worked perfectly both in 2D and 3D.

Nick
Reply #8 - Jun 16th, 2010, 12:27am

i am being logged our when attempting to run sketches when i have the fglrx (Restricted Driver for ATI cards) drivers installed.

Everything seems to be working fine when I have this switched off.

Is there a way to fix this? I'd love to use fully accelerated graphics with my install.

I'm using the sun Java install as i think this is the only one Processing will run on.

the file open/save dialogs are also really ugly and so is the PDE editor font.
Reply #9 - Jun 17th, 2010, 12:39am

experienced two crashes last night whilst running open source graphics drivers. this happened whilst i was running a sketch not when i launched it. no other apps were open.

i was logged out of x each time.

i have turned off desktop effects and left a sketch running to see if this has fixed anything.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1