We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpPrograms › Yikes! 37GB Java Console.log file!
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Yikes! 37GB Java Console.log file! (Read 1161 times)
Yikes! 37GB Java Console.log file!
Apr 17th, 2010, 4:18pm

Hi everybody:

I'm getting really spooked that I've created something that may potentially cause problems for people. Based on the description below, does this seem like something I should be worried about, or is this a problem with the particular Java install described?

Thanks a lot.

Quote:
Okay, the strangest thing happened.  Yesterday my computer told me that my hard disk was completely full.  You’re kidding, right?  So I spent a few minutes (yeah, minutes, right) going through the disk to copy/trash big files.  So I was able to free up 20Gb of space.

I came in this morning to find that it was full again!  I called Apple and I think we got to the bottom of it.  After trying a number of things, I did a search to find any files greater than 100Mb.  There was one that was over 37Gb, called Jave Console.log.  He asked me what kind of stuff I do with the computer, and eventually it hit me that the only new java application I have run is your applet!  When it quit working - or even if it did work, I don’t know - it kept sending information to the java console log, stuffing the thing until it completely took over like kudzu!

I’m not certain that that’s it, but it sure looks suspicious.  You might want to check into it to make sure it’s something my computer did that was bad, and not something your program is doing that’s bad...
Re: Yikes! 37GB Java Console.log file!
Reply #1 - Apr 17th, 2010, 8:02pm

If nobody knows what happened here, does anybody at least know if this kind of thing is common with java applets? If so, I'll certainly be much more careful with distributing them! I'd be totally humiliated if one of my clients ran one of these for fun and had his HD hosed, only to find out it was my fault!
Reply #2 - Apr 18th, 2010, 2:57am

do you do a lot of println-ing in your applet?

on linux everything that gets printed also gets dumped into a tmp file but that gets deleted on a reboot (depending on linux config) but it's easy to see that it could build up over time.

37GB though, that's some going 8) even our app servers at work only generate about 2G of logs a day.

Reply #3 - Apr 18th, 2010, 7:05am

There are a few "print" and "println" commands, but they don't add up to much since they only happen at user-triggered events. It would be really interesting to find out what was IN the 37GB file, but he already deleted it (obviously). I'll see what I can find out. Thanks!
Reply #4 - Apr 18th, 2010, 10:27pm

Another way to fill up a log file (they don't know rotating logs?) is... to generate lot of exceptions! Stack traces of exceptions can stack up quickly.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1