We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexDiscussionGeneral Discussion,  Status › where to put libraries in mac exactly
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
where to put libraries in mac exactly ? (Read 3754 times)
where to put libraries in mac exactly ?
Apr 8th, 2010, 10:36am

"sketchbook folder inside a folder named "libraries"

is what ive read , but i dont find that path , can anyone tell me what is the exact path  and do i need to create any folder ?

thanx !
Re: where to put libraries in mac exactly ?
Reply #1 - Apr 8th, 2010, 11:04am

/Users/your_user_name/Documents/Processing/libraries/
Reply #2 - Apr 8th, 2010, 11:06am

you can look at file-preferences, there is the path to your sketchbook folder. in there should be a folder named libraries, if it is not, create one and copy your libraries in there.
Reply #3 - Apr 8th, 2010, 11:59am

TweakingKnobs wrote on Apr 8th, 2010, 10:36am:

is what ive read , but i dont find that path , can anyone tell me what is the exact path  and do i need to create any folder

"placed within the "libraries" folder of your Processing sketchbook"
That's what I have read... Not quite the same thing...
Also:
"To find the Processing sketchbook location on your computer, open the Preferences window from the Processing application and look for the "Sketchbook location" item at the top."
That Sketchbook is where you save all your sketches.
Reply #4 - Apr 18th, 2010, 6:23pm

i'm having the same problem--and I have checked, double-checked, triple-checked, and quadrupal-checked the location of my "librairies" folder which resides in my sketchbook location:

"/Users/mac/_CODE/Processing"

the "libraries" folder is inside there, and within "libraries", I just installed, for example, the "controlP5.jar".  

yet, when I run one of the controlP5 test files ("ControlP5bang.pde"), I get this error:

"The package "controlP5" does not exist.  You might be missing a library."

"Note that release 1.0, libraries must be installed in a folder named 'libraries' inside the 'sketchbook' folder."

Undecided

???

Reply #5 - Apr 18th, 2010, 6:25pm

the ""ControlP5bang.pde" i'm testing with exists within a folder "ControlP5bang" that is also within the sketchbook:

"/Users/mac/_CODE/Processing"

Shocked
Reply #6 - Apr 18th, 2010, 6:37pm

I place the libraries in the package itself.  ctrl-click Processing package, Show Package Contents.  Navigate to /Contents/Resources/Java/libraries/
Alternatively, you can drag a jar file onto the sketch.. if you're just looking for a one off to a specific sketch.
Reply #7 - Apr 18th, 2010, 6:38pm

gotta exit processing before it will see new  folders in the sketchbook location
Reply #8 - Apr 18th, 2010, 7:02pm

@jeffg : i'm not sure I understand you ... ?

@mike3 : i quit and restarted Processing, and the problem still persists.

???  Cheesy  ???
Reply #9 - Apr 18th, 2010, 7:32pm

hello, please see and read through this recent post by Quark. after the library is in place, restart processing.
best,
andreas
Reply #10 - Apr 18th, 2010, 7:43pm

thanks Andreas!  i read thru that clarifying post, restarted, and now it works!

Smiley
Reply #11 - Apr 25th, 2010, 11:01pm

PhiLho  wrote on Apr 8th, 2010, 11:59am:
TweakingKnobs wrote on Apr 8th, 2010, 10:36am:

is what ive read , but i dont find that path , can anyone tell me what is the exact path  and do i need to create any folder

"placed within the "libraries" folder of your Processing sketchbook"
That's what I have read... Not quite the same thing...
Also:
"To find the Processing sketchbook location on your computer, open the Preferences window from the Processing application and look for the "Sketchbook location" item at the top."
That Sketchbook is where you save all your sketches.

I have the same question about the libraries, but still can't figure it out.
Can someone help
Thanks,
Tony
Reply #12 - Apr 25th, 2010, 11:03pm

See if the explanations in Libraries -still confused about where to put... thread are clearer.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1