We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpSyntax Questions › check if a file is in a folder
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
check if a file is in a folder? (Read 1465 times)
check if a file is in a folder?
Apr 6th, 2010, 11:44am

Hello

Anyone knows how to use processing to check if a file is in a folder? I have looked around and couldn't find anything

thanks in adv
P

Re: check if a file is in a folder?
Reply #1 - Apr 7th, 2010, 12:05am

Well one option is to use the listing files hack and then test each filename in the folder...

Unfortunately the hacks seem to be hidden away; though some might argue this is a good thing as not everything there is good practice or up-to-date...
Reply #2 - Apr 7th, 2010, 5:28am

Code:
File file = new File(filePath);
if (file.exists())
{
println("I found it!");
}
Reply #3 - Apr 8th, 2010, 4:33pm

Quote:
Unfortunately the hacks seem to be hidden away;

Ya, its maybe not the best place to raise that, but that's imo an issue you point out... i mean why is the hacks thingie so well hidden? Shouldnt it have it's place at least somewhere in the tabs of this site? Anyone?
Reply #4 - Apr 9th, 2010, 12:25am

Oh! First time I came across the hacks... (..which maybe prooves the point...) Thanks for telling me.
Reply #5 - Apr 18th, 2010, 9:46am

PhiLho  wrote on Apr 7th, 2010, 5:28am:
Code:
File file = new File(filePath);
if (file.exists())
{
 println("I found it!");
}

Thanks for providing me with your code.

I couldn't make it work. please help me!

Here is my code

File file = new File(dataPath("drawing.mov"));
     if (file.exists()) {
    println("I found it");
}

I have both processing file and drawing.mov file in the same folder, when I run the application, I should receive "I found it" message; but I didn't receive anything. Am I missing something here?

thanks
Reply #6 - Apr 18th, 2010, 11:21am

dataPath, by definition, provides the path to the data folder. Use sketchPath() (from memory).
Reply #7 - Apr 18th, 2010, 11:40am

Thank you very much, I got it

by the way.. where can I find my data folder?

Reply #8 - Apr 18th, 2010, 1:03pm

pandean wrote on Apr 18th, 2010, 11:40am:
Thank you very much, I got it

by the way.. where can I find my data folder

IIRC the data folder is only created when data is added to the sketch (i.e. using the Sketch > add File menu option).  You'll then find a data folder within your sketch folder.  Be careful though as this is then compiled into the .JAR file when you export your sketch - so it's not something that is usually accessible to people running your sketch...  It's just a handy repository for files needed to run the sketch (e.g. fonts).
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1