We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpOther Libraries › TTS strategies (problems with FreeTTS)
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
TTS strategies (problems with FreeTTS) (Read 605 times)
TTS strategies (problems with FreeTTS)
Apr 4th, 2010, 9:26am

I'm working on a project involving FreeTTS and have been having memory issues which I am not skilled enough to troubleshoot. The program takes a String containing a sentence and breaks it into single words, organized as a String[]. Then reads one word at a time while displaying the text as well. After the program reads enough, i get this error message:

java(41305,0xb12be000) malloc: *** mmap(size=536875008) failed (error code=12)
*** error: can't allocate region
*** set a breakpoint in malloc_error_break to debug

I've tried looking at other TTS programs however I'm not a skilled enough coder to know how to implement something in Processing unless someone has created a library to do exactly that. Can someone suggest techniques/libraries for having a computer voice read aloud long string arrays (sometimes 800+ words, and thus an array of that size).
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1