We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpSound,  Music Libraries › Help with sound visualization!!
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Help with sound visualization!! (Read 1052 times)
Help with sound visualization!!
Apr 2nd, 2010, 4:09pm

I'm currently working on a thesis project which involves visualizing sound and using sound data to fabricate physical forms. I've tried a couple experiments with code I've found online but so far I have only been able to create a topographic surface of the sound. I've tried both of these-
nielswouters.be/3d-geluid/
gracefulspoon.com/blog/2009/04/02/visualizing-sound-in-processing/

Both of these are good at what they do but I'd really like to just import an mp3 or aiff and then get a heightmap with points or mesh of the entire song and be able to set the dimensions easier.

The first link is cool for live importing but not for saving and the second one doesn't seem to have a way to change the height and dimensions very easily and exports the 3d file based on the camera view. and shows a different topography every time the same file is played. Then again, I don't know how the programming side very well but when I tried adjusting some of the parameters, not much happened.

I am hoping that there is already a code out there somewhere that does what I'm looking for for this kind of thing. I was given a Processing code to output fft data to a csv file too...maybe there is a way to generate an image from the csv file?

Another thing I'd love to try is to assign each note on a keyboard to a tetrahedronal form. Each module would represent 1 key and the scale and distortion would be different for each one. These would be 3d printed so that you could 'build' with sound and create a triangulated system. I've seen similar forms generated in processing and there may even be something already published to do this. (similar to the banner at the top of this site? this is a rough model I made in foam to show what I'm trying to do- flickr.com/photos/24617851@N03/4484845011/

Any help is greatly appreciated. I don't have any money but could offer digital fabrication services in exchange for programming help.
Thank YOU!!
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1