We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpIntegration › Quick JSmooth Question
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Quick JSmooth Question (Read 1560 times)
Quick JSmooth Question
Apr 2nd, 2010, 1:33pm

JSmooth seems to want to use just one single jar file, but the applet uses three - what do i do?

e.g. myApp.jar, core.jar, opengl.jar
Re: Quick JSmooth Question
Reply #1 - Apr 2nd, 2010, 2:08pm

Quote:
what do i do?

Mmm... Just use the Export to Application feature?

What improvements do you expect from JSmooth over this feature?

OK, a possible solution: just unzip the three jars to the same folder, and zip the result back to a jar.
Reply #2 - Apr 2nd, 2010, 3:09pm

What do you use to work with jar files - which can also make jar files?  Tried winzip and winrar   Sorry, me newbie

I guess I was hoping to end up with a nice little single-file exe.   So I don't have to expain to people "Extract the folder, yeah, yeah, right click it, yeah, choose 'extract,' yeah, now in the folder, yeah - the one that says "myApp.exe" - yeah  ok but you need the other things in the folder so - - ok,  so put it back --  now drag THE WHOLE FOLDER -- ok to your "Program Files"   etc etc.    

Reply #3 - Apr 2nd, 2010, 3:17pm

Yes, I finally guessed that (no additional folder), that's why I gave an answer... Smiley

I don't use paywares like WinZip or WinRAR, I am more than happy with the free, fast and nice 7-Zip. It gladly opens any archive, whatever its extension.
If you prefer to stick to your tools, just rename the .jar to .zip, that's what they are actually...
Reply #4 - Apr 2nd, 2010, 11:17pm

Aha! I did not know that! ty Smiley

(jar == zip? why did... never mind...) Smiley
Reply #5 - Apr 3rd, 2010, 2:41am

To answer your unfinished question, you have today lot of file formats which are just zip files, as it is a convenient way to have data grouped together (in nested folders), under a recognizable extension ("this is not a generic zip, it is a zip whose content I can parse") and stored in a compact way.

I can mention the Open Office files (.odt, .ods...), the new MS Office documents (.docx, .xlsx) -- these are XML files (often verbose, but compress well), the .xpi files of Firefox/Thunderbird extensions, the .svgz format (compressed SVG files) and so on.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1