We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexDiscussionGeneral Discussion,  Status › Software distributing
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Software distributing (Read 1624 times)
Software distributing
Mar 29th, 2010, 5:19am

Hi There

For a while I've been writing some stop frame animation software in processing that I am starting to think about distributing, But i was wondering how it holds up as format to use ?

I get the feeling that processing was written for visual artist to do funky interaction stuff but i found it a really intuitive language to write in and found a way to get every thing i needed.

Do people use it to write normal software stuff ? and if so are there any programs you can currently buy that was written in processing

Many Thanks

James

Re: Software distributing
Reply #1 - Mar 30th, 2010, 3:52pm

Just seeing if anyone had any thoughts on this

or have asked a really silly question
Reply #2 - Mar 30th, 2010, 11:32pm

If you want to share your program as free, open-source software, then there are several platforms that provide source-code browsing and binaries download (sourceforge, googlecode, github, etc.).

Otherwise, of course you can release closed-source programs and even sell them, if this is what you mean by "normal software".
Reply #3 - Mar 30th, 2010, 11:34pm

This Topic was moved here from Programs by antiplastik.
Reply #4 - Mar 31st, 2010, 9:49am

I use Processing as a means to build a visualization program, though I don't publicly distribute it.  I didn't know a thing about Java, OpenGL, VBO's, Sprites, textures, etc.  So at the time, Processing was the perfect fit and it had tons of nice libraries to get me started.  As I progressed with my Sketch and learned more, I was able to do more advanced things in OpenGL.  The sketch became a program and at this point, it would be too difficult to go back and rewrite it as some pure java or C program (not sure I could even if I wanted too, since I'm still fairly inexperienced in those areas).  So it worked out good for me.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1