We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpIntegration › EclipseP5Exporter: How to reduce .jar file size
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
EclipseP5Exporter: How to reduce .jar file size? (Read 1435 times)
EclipseP5Exporter: How to reduce .jar file size?
Mar 21st, 2010, 10:35am

I've searched for answers to this and been unable to find anything.  There's a thread of posts on EP5E, but those all deal with it not working.

It works fine for me -- the exported .jar file works perfectly -- but the  .jar file is roughly 25MB in size, as compared to ~200kb for .jar's created by the PDE's exporter.

What can I do to reduce this file size?  There are no large data files or other obvious culprits here; I did remove some fonts from the application and deleted their files, but that didn't make much difference (and the fonts took up less than 1MB all told anyway.)  The sketch is certainly more sophisticated than anything I've done in PDE (obviously, that's why I'm using Eclipse now) but it's not THAT much snazzier.

Is it some kind of static/dynamic linking issue?  I've looked around for boxes I can check/uncheck, but nothing jumps out at me.
Re: EclipseP5Exporter: How to reduce .jar file size?
Reply #1 - Mar 23rd, 2010, 4:58am

Follow-up:

I've discovered that if I create a project using the Proclipsing add-on for Eclipse  (great add-on, by the way), I get a much smaller .jar file, even though I'm still using EP5E to export.  

I assume this is because Proclipsing does a more "optimal" project set-up than just "Start Java Project, import processing.core, proceed."

Big thanks to the Proclipsing developer/s.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1