We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexDiscussionGeneral Discussion,  Status › processing on ubuntu karmic koala
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
processing on ubuntu karmic koala (Read 2239 times)
processing on ubuntu karmic koala
Mar 19th, 2010, 2:08pm

hello!!!
i wanted to install processing on ubuntu karmic koala (9.10 i think)
but somehow it does not work.
i have installed xubuntu-restricted-extras which includes the java runtime environment then i downloaded processing for linux unpacked it and launched processing but it does not do anything.
in some posts i've read that it might help to set a symbolic link to java but i am new to linux and cannot find the installation directory of the package.
does anybody know a solution?
thank you
Re: processing on ubuntu karmic koala
Reply #1 - Mar 19th, 2010, 3:52pm

Hello Mikles,
Processing should work as you download it from official linux bundle, if not you'll probably need a full java development kit which can be obtained from default Ubuntu repositries.

To do so, open a terminal and type:
Code:
sudo apt-get install sun-java5-jdk 

Then go to your processing directory, you can backup your original java:
Code:
mv java java_bck 

and create a sym-link:

Code:
ln -s /usr/lib/jvm/[change to your java jdk dir!!!]  java 

It should works now. If not, the last think you'll need is to set up default java for system to use:
Code:
sudo update-alternatives --config java 

If not, problem is elsewhere.
Good luck!
kof
Reply #2 - Mar 19th, 2010, 11:33pm

If you are really new to linux then I would recommend you try PureDyne carrot & coriander distro http://puredyne.goto10.org/ which has got processing pre-installed, which can run off a USB or stick/live CD.
Otherwise in my experience it is as well to get rid of the existing open java (mucks up OPENGL by using some stupid software emulation).  But then you have to do a bit of work re browser plugins etc. I prefer to download the jdk binaries from sun/oracle, but then again you have to do a bit more work (I have some recollection that the the default ubuntu configuration is to use emulation on OPENGL which completely defeats the point and is broken anyway, surprisingly this was also true on gentoo linux last time I used it).
Reply #3 - Mar 22nd, 2010, 4:10pm

hey thank you guys...

i have managed to install it by installing java and then putting a symbolic link to the java directory!!!
easy if you know how it works!!! but i'm a bloody beginner...
cheers mikles
Smiley
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1