We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
multiple input devices? (Read 1673 times)
multiple input devices?
Mar 19th, 2010, 9:34am

Hi all:

I'm building a multiplayer educational game, and I need for each player to be able to make numerical entries. Is there a way that I can differentiate between different keyboards plugged into the same Mac/PC? If not, how else could I accomplish this?

UPDATE: Similarly, is it possible to have multiple mice within the app, even if the OS only supports one?

Many thanks!

Adam
Re: multiple input devices?
Reply #1 - Mar 19th, 2010, 10:15am

Just to get things started, I suppose I could essentially build my own keyboard by hard-wiring certain letter keys (e.g. asdf = 1234") to a second num pad, thus giving me a single keyboard with two numpads.

Oh, even better: I could hard-wire the number keys into a num-pad shape, and leave the other num pad as is. That way the input for both num pads are always numeric, but one set is recognized as the numpad keys, and the other set is recognized as the keyboard numbers.

Other thoughts or ideas?

As for the mouse, it was mainly a luxury, but I'd still love to find a way to do it. Could I use direct serial communication and Arduino to speak with multiple controllers, i.e. mice that are hard-wired to Arduino? Maybe I don't even need Arduino, and I could just recognize that mouse signals are coming from two different ports, and utilize them separately in the program?
Re: multiple input devices?
Reply #2 - Apr 8th, 2010, 6:09pm

Hey Adam,

Did you ever figure out your problem with the multiple mouse input? I'm also on the newer side to processing and have a similar goal of wanting multiple input devices. I've been trying to work with proCONTROLL (you can find a link to it under the library section of the processing website) but I guess since I'm using a PC, when I have multiple mice inputs, a lot of them don't actually register when I print out a list of devices that it recognizes. If I do come across a solution for this, I'll let you know.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1