We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexDiscussionExhibition › Gaussian Beam Viewer
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Gaussian Beam Viewer (Read 2176 times)
Gaussian Beam Viewer
Mar 18th, 2010, 4:14pm

This sketch illustartes the shape of Gaussian beams (i.e. the possible shapes of laser beams in optical resonators):

http://www.gwoptics.org/processing/gbviewer/gbviewer.php

It can be used to teach optics but it is also fun to just swirl the beam pattern around.

Andreas
Re: Gaussian Beam Viewer
Reply #1 - Mar 18th, 2010, 5:52pm

Ah, math is so pretty Happy
Reply #2 - Mar 18th, 2010, 11:38pm

thast cool, nice use of the G4P Library btw.
Reply #3 - Mar 19th, 2010, 6:55am

Thanks! It feels a bit strange to use Processing for this more traditional look+feel. But Processing (with libraries such as G4P) make it really easy to write better looking science demos!

Andreas
Reply #4 - Mar 19th, 2010, 7:23am

Very nice and professional looking, indeed! Congrats to you and Quark.

I also like the JavaScript swapping of mock applet (screenshot) and real one: some people don't like to have a Java applet starting as soon as they arrive on a page.
Reply #5 - Mar 19th, 2010, 7:27am

I like this combination
Sinusoidal LGB
p-mode 2
l-mode 7
and z-range at 300
play with the other 2

very cool!
rS
Reply #6 - Mar 19th, 2010, 9:56am

PhiLho  wrote on Mar 19th, 2010, 7:23am:
Very nice and professional looking, indeed! Congrats to you and Quark.

I also like the JavaScript swapping of mock applet (screenshot) and real one: some people don't like to have a Java applet starting as soon as they arrive on a page.

Seconded on that. I thougt the link would open the applet in another window, and there it was right where I clicked!
Reply #7 - Mar 23rd, 2010, 10:31am

Cool. And inspiring for some applets in my own working field...
Thanks
Reply #8 - Mar 23rd, 2010, 10:41am

I think the faux applet innovation could/should really catch on, an excellent idea. Cheesy
Reply #9 - Mar 26th, 2010, 10:33am

awesome work on the beam viewer.  very cool!
Reply #10 - Apr 3rd, 2010, 6:01am

martin_p wrote on Mar 23rd, 2010, 10:41am:
I think the faux applet innovation could/should really catch on, an excellent idea. Cheesy

We have done that mostly out of self-defense. Maybe it's just me, but my browser (firefox 3.x on Mac 10.5) often hangs for up to a minute if I click on a link to openprocessing.org or similar pages. Quite annoying!

Andreas
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1