We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexDiscussionEvents,  Publications,  Opportunities › Visualize Micro-Volunteering Data
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Visualize Micro-Volunteering Data (Read 767 times)
Visualize Micro-Volunteering Data
Mar 18th, 2010, 2:40pm

Hi Processors.
We've got a great opportunity for you - we've built a platform for micro-volunteering opportunities... where in a few minutes you can do something valuable for a cause you care about... like Tag Images for the Smithsonian, Map Playgrounds for Kaboom, or Create a list of job Resources for Youth for Goodwill. the URL is beextra.org

The platform has been up for about 7 months and have been featured on CNN, Time Magazine, NBC, ABC, NPR and more. And we've got REAMS of data. BUT, we've not yet got a good, useful, or beautiful way to visualize it.

But, being a longtime fan of the field of infographics (and Ben Fry/Casey Reas), I've architected the system so that dataviz experts can plug their own visualizations right into the framework.

So, this is an open call to you all. I'd love the opportunity to showcase your work using the data from the 1000s of micro-volunteer tasks that are occurring everyday on the platform and to the ~100,000k visitors per month.

This is a beta program, so I'd be working closely with you to make sure you have the data in a format that works - and to guide you through the process of plugging into the API.

If you're interested, please send an email and a link to some of your work to ben --[-at--]- beextra ---dot--- org

looking forward,
ben
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1