We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
A few suggestions (Read 1040 times)
A few suggestions
Mar 13th, 2010, 7:50am

Hello!

Processing is a wonderful language and has a great community that really helps to gets you going. With Processing you are really a lot more productive when it comes to visuals and 3D.  Smiley
Thank you so much!   Cheesy

I also want to make a few minor Proposals.

In the discourse-section of the website (the Forum):  
There's a lot of knowledge in the forum, but it is not
well organized.
Proposal: Archive good threads to a special section or
vote for important threads or FAQ...
I don't get any alerts/posts via E-Mail.

Proposals in processing language:
Direct export as Windows-Screensaver.
Help for a graphic: plane, sky, background (like in Pov-Ray).
Msgbox
Inputbox
Local menu via right-mouse-click.
Buttons for Mouse on the screen: Better Handling.
Textures: Better handling, automatic tiling if image is too small.  
Picking in 3D: Boxes with names with clickable (working with peasycam).
P3D vs. OpenGL: 3D is in trouble at the moment: P3D has an error
and OpenGL is not well in Browsers (IE) and not allowed
on openprocessing.org.

Proposals in the IDE
Strg-t (format) is sometimes wrong after empty lines in comments (or is this intentionally?) and works only for the current Tab (file) (would be better if applied to all tabs). When it stops, it doesn't show the last good line.
Uncomment a comment is very bad (it puts again // instead of removing them).
No Debugger
Cursor down opens the application folder when you have exported an
application. This is inconvenient.

Thank you so much!

Greetings,

Chrisir   Wink

Re: A few suggestions
Reply #1 - Mar 13th, 2010, 8:45am

i believe casey and ben are aware of most of these things.
just to comment some.
as far as i know it is planned to expand the board to a wiki somehow, i am not sure how or when this will happen, but you are right. most of the time, people dont find the knowledge they are looking for.
but most of the time, people just dont use the search. i would say 30% of my help on this board is to find old posts for people who doenst use or cant find the right solution that is already there.

The Email Problem is a well known problem, dont know if it could or will be changed, but you are right.

About your language proposals.
these are mostly special things you ask for that could already be achieved with some libraries or other extenstions.
for example. there was just a 3d picking library released some days ago. http://processing.org/discourse/yabb2/num_1267471119.html

as far as i know, a windows-screensaver exporter already exists.
ah i see you already tested it a week ago and it didnt work... so maybe these people just need to update it. but this is probably nothning that will be part of the processing core functions.

plane, sky, background. is possible with some of Vics libraries i guess.

OpenGL is what they are actually working on right now. so there will be some improvements in the future.

About the IDE
Strg+T is buggy, thats true, but you can handle it if you know when and why it happens. for example, it doenst work as soon as you use some hex color #00000 in your code.
i believe it is not good to make it work for every tab,
but i guess i have to add here that i would love to see Search working for every tab and not only the active one.

adding another // happens when you mark all the // and probably have another line marked without and // , check if thats the case.
Re: A few suggestions
Reply #2 - Mar 13th, 2010, 9:13am

I hope my small suggestions didn't spoil the basic idea, that Processing is just great and that I love it...    Wink

P.S.
I also tried variations of the picking-thing and couldn't make it work... which probably was because I don't have enough time...  Wink

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1