We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProcessing DevelopmentLibraries,  Tool Development › Ceoneustom library in order to save very big files
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Ceoneustom library in order to save very big files (Read 1473 times)
Ceoneustom library in order to save very big files
Mar 10th, 2010, 4:02pm

I am looking for someone who could custom  program for me an option to
write and save to disk very big file 8000 by 6000 pixels in tiff .
it seems that it is not possible yet as far as i have understood .

Thanks

Hengameh
Re: Ceoneustom library in order to save very big files
Reply #1 - Mar 12th, 2010, 12:20pm

PImage img = createImage(8000, 6000, RGB);
img.save("image.tif");

Why isn't this possible?
Reply #2 - Mar 12th, 2010, 1:05pm

thats not what he is looking for... or doesnt help i guess cause what should be the content of this Pimage if he has a sketch that runs at 800x600 and he wants some highres images, that wont help.

look for tilesaver by marius watz.
dont know it it works again, cause there was a problem after upgrade to 1.0 . there is an alternative code by toxi that could be used to save higher resulution images of your processing sketch
http://processing.org/discourse/yabb2/num_1248245155.html
Reply #3 - Mar 13th, 2010, 3:01am

Perhaps I am dead wrong, but my understanding of TileSaver is that it allows to have OpenGL sketches bigger than the screen. Which isn't obvious as OpenGL uses graphics' card hardware for acceleration, so doesn't work well with off-screen graphics.
Another problem with large images is memory. TileSaver doesn't solve this (if I understood correctly) because it still has to build the image in memory (tile by tile) before saving it.
I don't know a library to build an image piece by piece on disk (ie. stitching the image off memory). That doesn't mean it doesn't exist... Probably work only for some image formats (TGA perhaps), as it might not play well with compression...
Reply #4 - Mar 13th, 2010, 5:00am

He never said he wants to draw some offscreen images. If i understood him correctly what he wants is to save an image that he made with processing onscreen with a much higher resolution than the actual sketch resolution. for example when in need of a highres image for print when a vector file is not an option. Tilesaver does that by moving the camerea viewpoint closer and then takes alot of different images at different positions and stitches together afterwards.  I know that the first tilesaver versions saved different tiles to disk and you had to run another sketch to stitch them together, the newer versions do that in one step. i dont know if the whole tiles are saved to disk or memory before stitching. but i have created images up to 20.000x20.000px without any problems.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1