We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexDiscussionGeneral Discussion,  Status › possible to change editor font color
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
possible to change editor font color? (Read 2383 times)
possible to change editor font color?
Mar 9th, 2010, 8:07pm

I'd like to be able to change the editor font color so that I have heavy black text instead of spidery gray text.  Can this be done?  I've tried adding the line

editor.font=Monospaced,bold,24

to preferences.txt,

but I still don't get bold text, and I have no idea of how to change the color.

Phillip
Re: possible to change editor font color?
Reply #1 - Mar 10th, 2010, 1:37am

See Bug 1320 : Processing 1.0.7 losing some preferences settings and Bug 1322 : The theme.txt file is only searched in the install dir.
I don't know what version you have, but I still have 1.0.5 so I have to edit this theme.txt file to change the color settings.
Reply #2 - Mar 11th, 2010, 2:12pm

I've played with the settings in the file "theme.txt" (in C:\Program Files\processing-1.0.9\lib\theme), but this doesn't seem to have any effect.  If anyone can tell me how to make the text much darker, I'd be grateful.  Alternatively, if there is an easy way to enable an external editor, that would be just as good.  (I know that this is supposed to be possible, but have done many searches without finding anything).
Reply #3 - Mar 12th, 2010, 4:26am

Perhaps it no longer works in 1.0.9, but it work(ed) in 1.0.5. I wait for 1.0.10 (or 1.1 or whatever) to upgrade... Smiley
I used mostly an external editor to code Processing sketches, unless I do quick experiments or small fixes.
I found the most effective way is to create the sketch in Processing, open the .pde file in my editor and when I need to test, I just use the Open button in the toolbar: it allows to refresh the edited file without opening a new PDE window.
Reply #4 - Mar 12th, 2010, 5:03am

Well, I just saw 1.1 is out!
So I downloaded the Windows (Java-less) version and unzipped it and pointed my run shortcut to it.
I lost all my color settings (I have a theme.txt file in the Processing setting folder).
I tried to paste them in preferences.txt but still no custom colors.
So I made a copy of lib/theme.txt and replaced it with my own.
Lo! My colors are back.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1