We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpSound,  Music Libraries › Simultaneous execution of many MP3 files
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Simultaneous execution of many MP3 files (Read 971 times)
Simultaneous execution of many MP3 files
Mar 3rd, 2010, 12:12pm

Hello Community!

Below I have outlined my project and a simple question I have. I've been reading a lot about Minim and Jsyn. Hopefully someone can shed some light on a direction I should take.

My project:
Users will be able to select from a list of 134 countries.

Upon selecting one country, an airplane will fly from one location on a globe to another over a specified amount of time while playing an accompanying MP3.

Upon selecting 134 countries, an airplane will fly from many locations on a globe to another over a specified amount of time while playing 134 MP3s simultaneously.

The Mp3 files are all small files in size, averaging .308 kilobytes per file.

The obstacles are quite apparent:

- The MP3 files are played along side an animation. Latency would negatively affect the piece.

- Loading 134 MP3 files, as small as they are, may require too long of a load time.

I need to load and play 134 small MP3 files simultaneously. Would Minim or JSyn be a solution for this project?

I'm very open to any alternate suggestions using Java / Processing.

I have no idea where to start and would love some guidance!

Thank you!!

--
Aypod
Re: Simultaneous execution of many MP3 files
Reply #1 - Mar 4th, 2010, 12:27am

you need to be aware that all those mp3s will be converted to wav format during loading so will take up more space than the actual filesize.

you might be asking too much. try it and see.
Reply #2 - Mar 5th, 2010, 6:50am

Thank you for the WAV information. I wasn't aware of that and will absolutely continue researching that.

Anyone else have some light to shed on the subject?

I appreciate the time everyone has taken to read the post!

--
Ayari
Reply #3 - Mar 5th, 2010, 3:41pm

How is the CPU going to cope...and the soundcard? Can it mix that many "voices"? (I thought most had a maximum of 32 or something like that). It seems unlikely to work. I could believe about 16 simultaneously might work....
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1