We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpPrograms › Program is really laggy, but only on Windows
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Program is really laggy, but only on Windows (Read 366 times)
Program is really laggy, but only on Windows
Feb 26th, 2010, 8:30am

Im new to processing so be gentle  Wink

Im trying to write a pong clone, which can be played by two people over a LAN.

The pong bit works perfectly, with great collision detection and overall pretty good. The LAN bit also works well. The two PCs (Ubuntu 8.04, and Windows XP Pro), communicate messages to each other, and it all runs smoothly.

Well, mostly.

On the Ubuntu machine, which is an old 2.8GHz P4, the game runs at a high framerate, but on the Windows machine, which is a dual core gaming rig, the game runs a pathetic frame rate, and seems to render two 'frames' at a time in quick succession, then pause for about half a second, before doing the same again.

I wrote the code on the Ubuntu machine, and compiled it for both Linux and Windows.

My Java is version 6 update 18 (the latest at this time)

This is really bugging me as the game is far too laggy to play Sad

Thanks in advance for any help.
Re: Program is really laggy, but only on Windows
Reply #1 - Feb 26th, 2010, 9:53am

Two possible issues (or more?): network lagging on Windows, or graphics card differences. The latter probably apply only if you are using OpenGL mode.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1