We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpVideo Capture,  Movie Playback,  Vision Libraries › Application export, P2D and Video Capture...
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Application export, P2D and Video Capture... (Read 1344 times)
Application export, P2D and Video Capture...
Feb 24th, 2010, 4:29pm

Hi all,

I've got an app which uses the standard video library to capture a webcam stream and triggers a simple particle system for visuals. It's very basic and runs great within the IDE and in Present mode.

My problem is when I export the application, I just get a blank screen, the app hangs, doesn't seem to activate the webcam, nothing happens. This is true for Win XP and OSX 10.6.2.

Haven't found anything specific in the forums after a search, wondering if anyone has experienced a similar problem/found a fix.

Thanks,

J.

Just found reference to a bug which seems like it might be related, but is marked as fixed. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
http://dev.processing.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=230
Re: Application export, P2D and Video Capture...
Reply #1 - Feb 25th, 2010, 3:34am

In an effort to isolate the problem I have written the following tiny sketch to simply display video from the webcam on screen. Again this works in IDE and present mode but not as an application.

Any ideas/pointers would be very much appreciated. This is my first major project with Processing, and video capture is going to be an essential part of a number of installations in the future.

Quote:
import processing.video.*;
Capture cam;
void setup(){
  size(800,600,P2D);
    cam = new Capture(this, 800, 600);
}

void draw()
{
  cam.read();
  cam.loadPixels();
  image(cam, 0, 0);
}

Reply #2 - Feb 25th, 2010, 7:15am

Ok... update, I just popped into the office and tried the same application on an XP Pro machine... works fine, even in application mode. I'd love to know what's causing this inconsistency though.

Thanks folks.

J.
Reply #3 - Mar 2nd, 2010, 9:47am

I had the same problem with the openCV face detection on MAcOSX 10.6.2. I finally solved the problem getting the info of the Processing generated .app and setting the 32 bit mode.
Reply #4 - Apr 26th, 2010, 4:55pm

some important info @ troubleshooting section

"The video library (both Capture and Movie) cannot be used on the web.As of release 0115, it's possible to play back movies via the web, however you still cannot capture video without a signed applet (see above)."
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1