We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpSound,  Music Libraries › MidiBus to Ableton Live confusion
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
MidiBus to Ableton Live confusion (Read 1053 times)
MidiBus to Ableton Live confusion
Feb 21st, 2010, 11:30pm

I'm a bit confused about how to get my processing sketch to trigger things in live.  Here's what I've got so far:

-The app has a "Rock Band Drums" (the video game) image.  Using the proControll library, I'm taking controller input through a real rock band controller, plugged in via usb.

-Using Sonia,  I'm triggering some drum .wav files, so it sounds like you're playing real drums.  highlights appear for visual feedback.

-I've got midi somewhat working using midibus.  I can send midi out, so that when I drum on my rock band drums... my electric piano sounds off with some notes.

-I've got midi in working.  I have a Roland Edirol controller's drum pads triggering my apps sounds and highlight animations.  So far so good.

Now, I'm trying to get Ableton Live 8 to accept those midi notes, but haven't been able to.  Ableton is accepting my Edirol's midi, via the "EDIROL PCR 2" on channel 15, pitch 60-67.  So I tried sending midi notes out of my Sketch with the same values, but Live doesn't react.  Live's "Midi Track Indicator" up in the top right corner lights up for my Edirol, but not my sketch.

Here's one clue... When I run my sketch with Ableton Live already running, and use MidiBus.list(), I get the following list:

Available MIDI Devices:
----------Input----------
[0] "ICE MIDI External Port"
[1] "EDIROL PCR MIDI IN"
[2] "EDIROL PCR 1"
[3] "EDIROL PCR 2"
[4] "Real Time Sequencer"
----------Output----------
[0] "Microsoft MIDI Mapper"
[1] "Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth"
[2] "ICE MIDI External Port"
[3] "EDIROL PCR MIDI OUT"
[4] "EDIROL PCR"
[5] "Real Time Sequencer"
[6] "Java Sound Synthesizer"
----------Unavailable----------
[0] "PreSonus FireBox MIDI In"
[1] "PreSonus FireBox MIDI Out"

But, if Live is not running when I run my sketch, I get different results to the list:

Available MIDI Devices:
----------Input----------
[0] "PreSonus FireBox MIDI In"
[1] "ICE MIDI External Port"
[2] "EDIROL PCR MIDI IN"
[3] "EDIROL PCR 1"
[4] "EDIROL PCR 2"
[5] "Real Time Sequencer"
----------Output----------
[0] "Microsoft MIDI Mapper"
[1] "Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth"
[2] "PreSonus FireBox MIDI Out"
[3] "ICE MIDI External Port"
[4] "EDIROL PCR MIDI OUT"
[5] "EDIROL PCR"
[6] "Real Time Sequencer"
[7] "Java Sound Synthesizer"

Note that the PreSonus FireBox MIDI Out becomes unavailable if I launch Live before my sketch.

Here's the code where I setup the Midibus:

myMidiBus = new MidiBus(this, "EDIROL PCR 2", "EDIROL PCR");
I've tried all of the "Outgoing Devices" from the above list... none get midi into Live.

So, here's my confusion/questions:

1) Is the launch order important?  Perhaps the sketch needs to be up before live in order for it to "grab" my sketch as a midi device?  Somehow I doubt it.  But if the Presonus FireBox Midi In/Out becomes unavailable if Live is launched first... isn't that eliminating one midi pathway that I may need?

2) Which Output should I be using?  (I've tried them all, so that's not the sole problem).  I'm trying the "Edirol PCR" currently, as Live is getting midi from my Edirol, so trying to hijack the same midi notes on that same channel/note seems reasonable.  But perhaps that device/channel is already "taken" by the edirol, so I should be sending my notes via a different device/channel?

3) Is MidiBus even the right tool for this?  I went with it because it was the first thing mentioned in posts I read, but it seems like more people are going with ProMidi.  Perhaps I should move to that?

4) What's going on with my PreSonus Firebox Midi In/Out becoming unavailable when I launch live first?  Does that mean I should avoid trying to send notes over that output?

5) Is there something in Live I need to be setting?  in the preferences under midi control, I've got the top section populated with my Edirol's inputs and outputs... and the lower "Midi Ports" turning the Edirol, and PreSonus Firebox's track = on... and the Edirol's Remote = on.  Should my Sketch show up as a control surface?  I suppose not, as I'm just sending midi signals over one of the other devices... like the PreSonus Firebox (which is having unavailable issues).

Lastly... I read some posts about using OCS or some other protocol.  I'd rather stick with MIDI for now... if possible, as I'm trying to learn more about how it works.

Thanks much for any enlightenment that can be provided!  Sorry in advance for such a long, verbose description.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1