We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpPrograms › flight patterns
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
flight patterns (Read 691 times)
flight patterns
Feb 19th, 2010, 1:32pm

i'm sure most of you have seen flight patterns by aaron koblin. i need to do something very similar and was wondering if anyone could offer suggestions on how to begin.

i think i can get my data moving on a map using straight lines, but ultimately i would like to use arced routes, i.e. great circle arcs, and intensity of color to indicate densities, e.g. number of flights overlapping in some area.

for the arcs, i think i can compute the distance, bearing and speed to move my planes along arcs. (formulas come from a website, but since i'm new to the forums i can't link to it on the formulas)

the other problem is a bit harder. since i'm not a graphic designer, i don't know how to do things like modify colors based on how much stuff is in the same area. i've vaguely heard the term alpha in reference to this but i'm not entirely sure what to do.

general strategy is as follows: i have timestamps, origin coords and destination coords. i run the code and at the appropriate timestep create a plane and calculate distance, bearing and speed. each update move the planes to the new x,y, calculate a new bearing. when the plane reaches a destination, destroy it.

does this sound like it will work?

thank you,

-ricardo
Re: flight patterns
Reply #1 - Feb 20th, 2010, 3:05am

sounds like a case cos additive blending where each time a pixel is written to the value gets added to what's already there rather than replacing the value that's already there.

(i've done this before but only using opengl and with mixed colours in order to get that red+green = yellow colour mixing effect but it should be possible to add red + red to get brighter red. and probably also possible (but slow) using non opengl using loadPixels / updatePixels. there is a blend() method in processing which does ADD but seems to only work with images. but someone will probably correct me or suggest a workaround)
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1