We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexDiscussionExhibition › Processing combined effort
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Processing combined effort (Read 15632 times)
Re: Processing combined effort
Reply #15 - Feb 18th, 2010, 3:23pm

Personnaly, I was thinking about a more linear approach, and layering the sketches is very different from what I would expect, but it could give very interesting results indeed  :-)  though I have the feeling it could get a bit "dirty" with many sketches layered on top of each other...

I think we should decide what the output needs to be. Video? Video only or video+audio? Metasketch? Interactive metasketch?

I would better start with a simple video project, because I feel like I would be able to provide those 150 frames quite quickly, and I do really look forward to seeing what would our work look like when chained together, but if you think we should raise the bar, I'll follow you guys ;-)
Reply #16 - Feb 18th, 2010, 5:35pm

koogy - I have played around with Mother a little bit, but that's not the kind of thing I have in mind... Rather something along the line of image filters stacked ontop of each other. Also I think the project should not require an extra framework such as MAX/MSP or PD to mesh up the sketches...

koogy wrote on Feb 18th, 2010, 12:59pm:
(am toying with the idea of some kind of framework where individual sketches can be pasted into different tabs and chosen at random when the previous one finishes, kind of like the electricsheep screensaver that people might know. will need to think about it. an interface introspection)

You might want to have a look at "Sketch in Space"
It's a very simple proof of concept that runs several sketches inside a mother-sketch. All you need to do is wrap each sketch into a unique subclass of PApplet. Then you could add some introspection to collect the sketches and hide the controller inside an external library...

openprocessing.org/visuals/?visualID=6573
Reply #17 - Feb 19th, 2010, 4:08am

just looked at Sketch in Space and it goes way beyond what i need (the mapping of sketch output into a texture in the global sketch for instance, the passing of events) but, yes, helpful, thanks.

and i agree about keeping this simple and not requiring libraries galore (especially if it's going to be cross-platform). (that said, frames generated using pretty much anything are as good as any other frames. but that, i think, is getting away from combined effort and into individual efforts combined, if you see what i mean)

and i understand your filters idea now, kinda like "77 million paintings". but i see that more like people contributing methods than sketches. something like PImage myFilter(PImage){}
Reply #18 - Feb 19th, 2010, 7:07am

I agree with Cedric. A sketch as a work of art should be something that references the traits associated with Processing and maybe Open Source software in general, in an unprecedented and innovative way. So it is better to choose  e.g. an abstract shape than the logo which is profoundly referring. I believe that this is not turning into an advertisement but rather into a piece that has a value of its own, apart from referring to something.
Reply #19 - Feb 19th, 2010, 7:22am

I agree with yconst. It won't be an advertisement. It should be a combined effort to illustrate the power that is Processing.

I believe we can achieve all of this. With the layering idea we can have :

1. an abstract image with layering sketches forming the p5 logo (sort of mosaic)
2. start with the p5 logo and use it as a base layer for effects (a reverse effect of point 1)
3. a separate sketch entirely with no reference to the processing logo; but it brings out the power of Processing where it packs sketch on top of sketch.
Reply #20 - Feb 19th, 2010, 8:18am

i'm up for this...  

Option 3 seems most intresting to me.
Reply #21 - Feb 19th, 2010, 9:07am

I'd also like to get this thing rolling.  My vote is for option 3 as well.  So the way I see it there are two methods of going about this:

-one: we have a specific starting/ending shape w/ location and we produce whatever we want for 150 frames, output them, and then someone is in charge of stitching them together.

-two: the electric sheep idea where there is one sketch that randomly calls a different person's 150 frame sequence. (still with the shape as the connection)  

I personally like the second option because you can include a degree of randomization in your 150 frames which could change every time it runs.
I also think that it might be smart to stay away from any libraries to keep it simple and open.  My two cents.

Reply #22 - Feb 19th, 2010, 11:11am

i dont think overlaying all sketches is a good idea. i still vote for the idea, that everybody starts and end with the same screen/symbol and has his own 150 frames to do whatever he wants...  so +1 for option 4 Smiley
Reply #23 - Feb 19th, 2010, 12:26pm

this is starting to sound like two projects, albeit two that can feed off each other - the showreel will need effects and the filters will need images to filter...

if we are clever and everything's modular enough we can pick and choose from the contributions. 8)

the static image was chosen so we had keyframes to let us stitch disparate, individual sequences together, the image itself didn't really matter so long as we all knew what it was. the video that inspired this used a circle.

and i object to it being called an advertisement purely because we aren't selling anything (and because i hate adverts). 'promotional video' is ok, 'propaganda' even, just not 'advertisement' 8)

someone just needs to write one!
Reply #24 - Feb 19th, 2010, 12:31pm

these ideas are all more similar than they are different.

(russell's #1 and #2 are pretty much the same thing, #1 just being the capture of a single run through a given, non-random #2. the format of the output is different, 150 pngs in the first case, sketch source in the second, but fundamentally the same thing)

(cedric's #4 is the same again, with a known start and end sequence)

(and the filters thing is just one example of the same thing again)
Reply #25 - Feb 19th, 2010, 3:03pm

So...
Who post the first/end shape for approvement ?
(it's not me <|:-)
Reply #26 - Feb 19th, 2010, 3:37pm

i agree withantiplastik, i would prefere i more linear approach too...
i think its not a bad idea, to start and end with something like that.
a black screen with a white circle in its center...

this could be everything, a sphere in 3d, just an ellipse, lots of particles and so much more. i believe if we then stich every 150 frames together we get something like a tranforming circle... actually the most simple symbol available and with the use of processing we can make everything out of it... i kinda like the idea...
it also somehow refers to the idea of robert hodgins where he describes how every sketch starts with a single dot...
http://www.flight404.com/blog/

maybe we should make the circle even smaller to get more like a dot in the beginning. i like that idea even better now:)
Reply #27 - Feb 19th, 2010, 4:15pm

Far, far away : a world, an universe ... and we just can see a point.
Point is all (for a long time ago, i really think it's a great parabole)

+1 for this idea.
Reply #28 - Feb 19th, 2010, 4:23pm

is anybody counting all the +1 Smiley wasnt there a poll function somewhere...
Reply #29 - Feb 19th, 2010, 4:27pm

May andrewowaun can modify his first post to add each validated idea ?
Pages: 1 2 3 4