We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpOther Libraries › reading EXIF data from a jpeg file
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
reading EXIF data from a jpeg file (Read 1144 times)
reading EXIF data from a jpeg file
Feb 10th, 2010, 3:07am

Hi,
Has anyone used Processing to read the EXIF data from a jpeg file?
At the moment i only want the resolution information, but other things like the ratings and Camera model would eventually come in very useful as well!
Thanks

Pete
Re: reading EXIF data from a jpeg file
Reply #1 - Feb 10th, 2010, 5:45am

You should try and use the search facility of this forum... Smiley Or of Google or similar.

Found, for example: Java and Jpeg Metadata which mentions, among others, Sanselan (Apache Image library) and the good old Java Advanced Imaging (JAI) tool, which extends the standard ImageIO class.

Note also that the good old ImageInfo.java file by Marco Schmidt can provide lot of information on images (like resolution) with a  lightweight class.
Reply #2 - Feb 11th, 2010, 12:18am

Hi,
Thanks for the info,
I was looking for "jpg exif data" which didn't bring up much!
You've come at a different angle which is much appricated!
Silly question, inside the website you referenced it suggests using the "Java Advanced Imaging Image I/O Tools" is that already in the processing build or do i need to go and download it?
Sorry a bit of a novice when it comes to the setup of these things!

Thanks

Pete
Reply #3 - Feb 11th, 2010, 6:53am

No problem, the art of proper googling is delicate... Smiley
I just searched exif java actually!

Java Advanced Imaging API is a free download from Sun. You have to add it to classpath (eg. in a code folder in your sketch folder, or as a library) to use it.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1