We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexDiscussionExhibition › Attractive City - an interactive city generator
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Attractive City - an interactive city generator (Read 2624 times)
Attractive City - an interactive city generator
Feb 5th, 2010, 5:24am

“Attractive City Generator” is an interactive application that has been developed as a part of a research project at the ETH in Zurich, at the chair of Computer Aided Architectural Design.
The idea behind it, is to explore urban design methodologies, based on object oriented programing. Our particular area of interest is interactivity in urban planning and our aim is to integrate and emancipate citizens.

Watch a presentation of our work here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ei812Ze8y-w

We'd love to hear your comments!
Sofia
Re: Attractive City - an interactive city generator
Reply #1 - Feb 6th, 2010, 2:37am

I like this a lot.

It reminds me of the game simcity, which had a similar theme of arranging districts that would affect both the layout and the overall city, but this interface is much more interesting.  It would be neat to also be able to control the strength or size of each type of attractor.

Another use that comes to mind is using this for transit planning.  Maybe try and have the city create a transportation network and see effect moving the different attractors around would have on the speed of efficiency of travel around the city.
Reply #2 - Feb 6th, 2010, 3:26am

really wonderful
Reply #3 - Feb 6th, 2010, 6:05am

The skyscrapers seem to be very overpowering. I think for this sort of scale of city that the area(s) with skyscrapers would be much smaller, and with skyscrapers not so sky-scraping!

The coloured control objects seem too large when you are demonstrating it - I am assuming that they are intended for a larger implementation, such as is shown near the end of the video.

I'm interested to know if the city in the nice animated flythrough rendering near the beginning is created using the interactive tool, and if so, was the 3D model exported from Processing to another application for rendering, or was it all done using Processing?

-spxl
Reply #4 - Feb 7th, 2010, 9:42pm

Wow that is neat!  Amazing work!
Reply #5 - Feb 8th, 2010, 1:33am

Intriguing (and well implemented); though I'd be interested to see some public responses.  Presumably if you don't incorporate industry the city will degenerate because of a lack of work?  If not I suspect the public will choose not to add factories and in fact may only opt for the 'village houses':  sadly the ideal 'attractive' city may only be practical in a virtual environment.

I rather liked the ability to add a river but I'd be inclined to also include bridges as these tend to impact on development also.  If you were being really ambitious you might even add another dimension: time.  Cities don't just spring out of nowhere; they grow from towns and villages.  It would be really neat to be able to go back in time, place some villages etc.  and then project how these might grow into a city...  Thought perhaps that's something for another project Wink
Reply #6 - Feb 8th, 2010, 4:23am

I imagine something that dispenses various types of attractors when you get to that level... so you start off with smaller stuff and then that enables you to put bigger stuff... or something Smiley
Reply #7 - Feb 8th, 2010, 1:43pm

blindfish wrote on Feb 8th, 2010, 1:33am:
I rather liked the ability to add a river but I'd be inclined to also include bridges as these tend to impact on development also.  If you were being really ambitious you might even add another dimension: time.  Cities don't just spring out of nowhere; they grow from towns and villages.  It would be really neat to be able to go back in time, place some villages etc.  and then project how these might grow into a city...  Thought perhaps that's something for another project Wink

I am also one of those spatial designer who has gone off into a processing tangent, but has since been trying to develop ways of spatial design through code.

I think this is a great start to what could be a reasonably accurate generator that could predict how cities change over time, if you can take into account various factors that could possibly determine the behaviour of a city.
Reply #8 - Feb 9th, 2010, 11:23pm

Intriguing (and well implemented); though I'd be interested to see some public responses.  Presumably if you don't incorporate industry the city will degenerate because of a lack of work  If not I suspect the public will choose not to add factories and in fact may only opt for the 'village houses':  sadly the ideal 'attractive' city may only be practical in a virtual environment.

I just reasd your comment at sophias attractive city about implementing time. Our project was done within the same program here at the ETH. Although we have a totally different approach our city features the implementation of time.
It's posted here as well, --> Voxopolis

cheers
Reply #9 - Apr 28th, 2010, 3:24am

Intriguing (and well implemented); though I'd be interested to see some public responses.  Presumably if you don't incorporate industry the city will degenerate because of a lack of work  If not I suspect the public will choose not to add factories and in fact may only opt for the 'village houses':  sadly the ideal 'attractive' city may only be practical in a virtual environment.

Hi there!
thanks for the input. Indeed time is implemented in the project. Once you add a village, it starts with only a block or two and then spreads to fill the area. The extend to which it will expand depends on what is around it (i.e. other attractos), and on how many of its attractors are present. However, the village cannot turn into skyscrapers unless there is a skyscraper attractor present.

cheers!
S.
Reply #10 - Apr 28th, 2010, 4:49am

subpixel wrote on Feb 6th, 2010, 6:05am:
The skyscrapers seem to be very overpowering. I think for this sort of scale of city that the area(s) with skyscrapers would be much smaller, and with skyscrapers not so sky-scraping!

The coloured control objects seem too large when you are demonstrating it - I am assuming that they are intended for a larger implementation, such as is shown near the end of the video.

I'm interested to know if the city in the nice animated flythrough rendering near the beginning is created using the interactive tool, and if so, was the 3D model exported from Processing to another application for rendering, or was it all done using Processing

-spxl

hello,
indeed the 3D model was exported from Processing. The rendering was done in Maya.
S.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1