We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpPrograms › Games Programming
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Games Programming (Read 2495 times)
Games Programming
Feb 2nd, 2010, 11:51pm

Where do I start? I want to learn how to make mobile games. Thanks.
Re: Games Programming
Reply #1 - Feb 3rd, 2010, 3:33am

koogy wrote on Feb 3rd, 2010, 1:49am:
or go with the iphone platform and their sdk, i hear that's popular these days...

No idea why.  Objective-C is really ugly and time-consuming.

Apparently Adobe are rolling Flash (the full version, not the current 'light' version) out to all smartphones (except the iPhone of course, since Apple have that locked down like the proverbial...  though apparently Flash CS5 will allow you to export an iPhone app), so that might also be a good option as you should be able to hit the biggest possible audience without needing too much work porting to each platform.

Actually I'm looking forward to being able to get all the same functionality you get in 'Apps' just by visiting a web-page; I can't believe people pay for some of the cr@p out there.

I guess a fool and his money is soon parted Smiley
Reply #2 - Feb 3rd, 2010, 3:38am

it's not easy to answer your question without knowing what you already know.

first of all, if you want to make mobile stuff in processing, you should think about the platform: ie it should run java etc. al so you could give a look at the js processing port.

then, for the making games part, it mostly depends on what kind of game you want to make. there are a few things that could be helpful in most scenarios:
- your programming language
- multimedia librarie (ie: opengl, minim,...)
- interface design...

also a good read at http://www.gamasutra.com/ could be inspiring.
Reply #3 - Feb 3rd, 2010, 4:59am

blindfish wrote on Feb 3rd, 2010, 3:33am:
No idea why.

Because the iPhone is extremely popular and some people gained lot of money by making cheap applications for this platform Smiley
Reply #4 - Feb 3rd, 2010, 9:04am

I refer you to the last paragraph of my previous post Wink

Also that popularity is slightly overblown.  It's certainly one of the fastest growing in terms of popularity, but it's by no means currently the most popular.  I think the arrival of Flash on Smartphones might open people's eyes to the joke that is the 'App store' concept.  It's a great way for us to make money out of selling applications, but people will stop parting with their cash once they realise that, in most cases, the very same functionality is available for free over the web...  Except of course on the iPhone, since that wouldn't be in Apple's interests.
Reply #5 - Feb 5th, 2010, 2:24am

Well, developers don't really care that's not the most popular (I think that currently that's still Symbian the most widespread, Android is rising quite quickly, Windows Mobile is stagnating) as long as they can still dream (can't say "expect", particularly in a now crowded concurrency context) of millions of sells...

You are right, Apple found a quite profitable selling scheme (everybody tries to copy it...) and defend it ferociously, baring the road to Flash (or other RIA systems).

About fools and their money: if I believe the ads on the French TV, it is quite true, seeing the stupid applications sell for (Java) mobile phones for some overtaxed SMS sending... Smiley
Reply #6 - Feb 5th, 2010, 10:31am

Check out iPhone dev to make an app in one week -- live on the web

Sahil Lavingia will be posting screenshots of his coding, timelapse movies, and other notes about his work as he moves forward.  If you are fascinated with what happens behind the scenes in the app development process, be sure to follow Lavingia's one week app experiment.
Reply #7 - Feb 6th, 2010, 8:51am

I'm abit sceptical about the whole Flash 5 "flash apps to iphone app" hype.. They make it sound so easy: Supposedly if you're able to program in AS3, then it's a few "clicks" away and you have your iPhone app.

I know this my post goes abit in another direction, but it's the same thing they started with Flash Catalyst and Flash Builder - making wireframing so easy... just a few clicks, but in reality it's nothing NEAR a few clicks...

Anyways back on track - if it really is so easy, I would def. go for Flash 5 as flash/flex have many gaming engines out-of-the-box (flex has atleast) - so you can create some cool games easily, and if youre so lucky its a few clicks away with Flash 5 to your iphone app - it just cant get better, now can it Smiley
Reply #8 - Feb 7th, 2010, 7:19am

jn68 wrote on Feb 2nd, 2010, 11:51pm:
Where do I start I want to learn how to make mobile games. Thanks.

You can start by dowloading a game editor on Game Discovery.  I hope it will help you !
Reply #9 - Feb 7th, 2010, 12:15pm

jn68 wrote on Feb 2nd, 2010, 11:51pm:
Where do I start I want to learn how to make mobile games. Thanks.

It would be easier to get to grips with basic programming practices first, before trying to make your own game, or else you will only end up giving yourself a headache.
Reply #10 - Feb 8th, 2010, 2:55am

Kamran wrote on Feb 6th, 2010, 8:51am:
I'm abit sceptical about the whole Flash 5 "flash apps to iphone app" hype.. They make it sound so easy: Supposedly if you're able to program in AS3, then it's a few "clicks" away and you have your iPhone app.

Well I guess Adobe don't want too many Flash developers jumping-ship to become iPhone devs; and Apple are probably a little worried what will happen when Flash rolls out to all other smart-phones; so I think it's in both their interests to get this working as seamlessly as possible.  Whether it will be 'a few clicks away' is yet to be seen - I suspect not: there will no doubt be a few hoops to jump through; but as long as the hoops aren't too numerous (and preferably not on fire) it's still going to be a better option than re-writing the application from scratch...

In practice I suspect they will have to write the equivalent of a Flash Player for iPhone - i.e. an application that knows how to deal with Movie Clips etc. and when you export your Flash app it will incorporate it into the player to produce a standalone iPhone app.  Probably far from easy, but not a huge jump from what they do with the Flash Player already.

BTW - I wouldn't worry too much about going off-topic.  Today's sudden deluge of spam makes me wonder whether this wasn't also just a setup to allow 'janenarrow1' to post her plug for 'Game Discovery'...
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1