We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpIntegration › external editors
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
external editors (Read 1617 times)
external editors
Jan 24th, 2010, 12:30pm

It does seem as though the developers of processing have made it extraordinarily cumbersome to use an external editor.  The checkbox isn't too useful.  We need some way to tell processing the path to the executable for the editor so that processing can invoke it.

Phillip
Re: external editors
Reply #1 - Jan 25th, 2010, 2:51am

Yes, you are not the first one to complain. See, for example, external editor.
Somehow, I don't mind if Processing cannot run an external editor (I can run it myself) but at least I would like an easy (ideally automated)  wayto update the current sketch with files on disk.
Reply #2 - Feb 2nd, 2010, 2:21pm

Has anyone had any luck getting a DOS-based editor to work?  This may date me, but I've been using PC-Write for years, and I'd love to keep using that...  Maybe through a batch file, or setup?
Reply #3 - Feb 3rd, 2010, 5:01am

Well, I don't see why it shouldn't work, as long as you can load a text file and save it. Just don't rely on the 'External editor' feature of the PDE. Edit the file and refresh it in the PDE.
Reply #4 - Feb 3rd, 2010, 7:39pm

I've had the same issue as Nina...thanks PhiLo-- will try your suggestion and let you know if it works with saving the file as you describe. Wink
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1