We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexDiscussionGeneral Discussion,  Status › Why are there 3 options for processing download
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Why are there 3 options for processing download ? (Read 782 times)
Why are there 3 options for processing download ?
Jan 20th, 2010, 5:00am

Hello,

I just have a question regarding, that if processing is built entirely on Java, why is it that we need 3 different versions of it to run on the MAC, Linux & Microsoft Windows ?

Also, it was mentioned in the FAQ, that if used the .java code generated by the Processing Development Environment it can work but it isn't guaranteed to work on another operating system ?

Thank you,
Walid
Re: Why are there 3 options for processing download ?
Reply #1 - Jan 20th, 2010, 7:40am

Please, delete the two other threads, thanks.

Answer: Java is, in general, system agnostic, indeed. But Processing comes with a few native libraries, ie. shared libraries on Unix systems, DLLs on Windows.
For example, the serial library, and more typically, the OpenGL library.

Although my copy of Processing for Windows includes both formats, probably for generation of standalone executables and perhaps the export applet option.

Another explanation is that Processing tried to tightly follow platform practices, so the Mac version is distributed as .dmg file, while the non-expert version of Windows is shipped with a version of the Windows JDK. Which is, itself, system dependent: although most of Java is written in Java, it still relies on a few core C native functions.
I think Linux and Mac versions are JDK-less as Java is generally installed out of the box on these system (on Mac, it is a version made by Apple).
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1