We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
external editor (Read 974 times)
external editor
Jan 14th, 2010, 7:14am

hi,
I just started to try to use processing.
how do I specify which is the external editor ?
It's not immediately obvious.
thanks
Re: external editor
Reply #1 - Jan 14th, 2010, 7:18am

If you just started to play arround with it. i would stick with the processing IDE. Everything could be done.
If you want to you can either define some other editors like textwrangler or use a totally different IDE like eclipse or netbeans...

just use the search for some tutorials on how to use them
http://processing.org/discourse/yabb2/?num=1207156611 for example.
Reply #2 - Jan 14th, 2010, 7:36am

I guess that means open a file in the IDE/API thingy. do not tick " use external editor" open file in other editor, when save it updates in the API?
Reply #3 - Jan 14th, 2010, 7:42am

Sorry. i guess i dont understand.
Reply #4 - Jan 14th, 2010, 8:04am

[quote author=724A4B6E4A4D220 link=1207156611/12#12 date=1262430276]
Basically, icecube, I do the same (only for large files), except I don't copy/paste code, I just go to the Open icon in the PDE (the up arrow) and select the sketch in the list (even if it is already open): it updates the content of the window to the latest version.

I'll do it like that.
I like to use notepad++

cheers
mick
Reply #5 - Jan 16th, 2010, 7:18am

For some reason if I open a file in the pde. Then open it in an external editor and change and save it. Opening it in the pde does not update the changes but reverts to what it has in memory. If I try to open a new instance of the pde and open the file it says 'oh you do not want that. You want the one I have in memory'
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1