We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexDiscussionEvents,  Publications,  Opportunities › "drawing code" study (for Kaleido project)
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
"drawing code" study (for Kaleido project) (Read 2697 times)
"drawing code" study (for Kaleido project)
Jan 13th, 2010, 8:10am

Hi everyone!  As part of my Master's thesis work, I am experimenting with a simultaneously visual and textual IDE interface to help programmers who are visio-spatial thinkers code more intuitively.

For this, I need some help from all of you Processing friends!  My first preliminary user study aims to collect idiosyncratic visual depictions of code -- namely you get to illustrate your code on paper and pencil.  Participants will be compensated for their time, and the user study activity can be done remotely on a flexible schedule.  I think it will also be a fun experience to think about code in a different way.

Project Homepage
media.mit.edu (slash) ~achang (slash) kaleido

Preliminary Study Information
when: January 13-25, 2010
who: visual-thinkers who program
what: drawing a series of visual depictions of code; entire activity should require about 1 hour to complete, and you can do it anywhere you like
compensation: $15*
how: email kaleido@media.mit.edu with your name and a short sentence about your programming and visual art experience

Please join, and please help me distribute the information!

Many thanks,
Agnes Chang

*Edit: The amount has increased since the initial announcement; we've been able to secure a little more funding to better reimburse you for volunteering your time and effort.
Re: "drawing code" study (for Kaleido project)
Reply #1 - Jan 13th, 2010, 11:13am

Hey Agned, what about MIDE Smiley still waiting for it.
Anyway i just wrote you an email to take part in your little experiment.

edit: ah, looks like kaleido is the new Mide, is it?
Reply #2 - Jan 13th, 2010, 11:25am

Would love to download and read the pdf but the link doesnt work (same with some images)
Reply #3 - Jan 13th, 2010, 5:44pm

The link works fine for me:
http://web.media.mit.edu/~achang/kaleido/
Reply #4 - Jan 13th, 2010, 6:39pm

I was talking about the link to the pdf she had on this site. But it seems to be fixed.

edit: there are still typos in the image url. its ppng instead of png...
Reply #5 - Jan 13th, 2010, 8:46pm

Thanks Casey!

Thanks Cedric for pointing out the issues -- I didn't catch the image typo!  Everything should be fixed now.
Reply #6 - Feb 8th, 2010, 6:31pm

Wow, I'm definitely going to be following your research. There is a serious need for an IDE that is both visual and textual, us dual mode thinkers really need it! This is something I've been thinking about for years now.

A while back I made a fairly simple (Think Logo: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logo_(programming_language) ) real-time interpreted graphical scripting language called L-Script in processing, and since have been thinking about ways to extend it into something a bit more like what you've been working on. The major difference in what I was envisioning was to have the code more inline in the blocks instead of highlighted next to it, with a focus on development of modules separately in real time for instant feedback, and then having that same code parsed into C++/Java/Other high level code to be used later in a larger system.

I think this could have a major impact on software development because the visual aspect is especially well suited to show object lifetimes, variable flow, or even the ability to see concurrent code paths. More like a factory (in R.L.) and less like a simple set of instructions.

Can't wait to try this out!

Jack Kern
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1