We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpOpenGL and 3D Libraries › java 3d for nvidia 3d vision
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
java 3d for nvidia 3d vision (Read 4767 times)
java 3d for nvidia 3d vision
Jan 12th, 2010, 7:38am

Hi everybody.

First of all a big thanks to everybody in the forum!

I have been using processing (and openframeworks) for astronomical visualizations for the last couple of years. I am now writting a visualization tool that is kind of a mix between google sky and google maps. The idea is to scroll the sky and show metadata of astronomical objects. I want it to be 3D stereo (using nvidia 3d vision) but unfortunately nvidia 3d works only on DirectX. I read that java3D uses OpenGL or DirectX. That would be a good solution until nvidia decides to support OpenGL. Does anybody has experience using java3D inside processing and DirectX graphics?

Thanks in advance!

Miguel.

Re: java 3d for nvidia 3d vision
Reply #1 - Jan 13th, 2010, 2:13am

it does support opengl quad-buffer stereo mode (quadro cards)

http://www.nvidia.com/object/quadro_pro_graphics_boards.html

try following the info on that link and see what do you get. i don't have one to test.

on the other side:

if you plan on working your own way for stereo it should work fine. do all the work yourself, create both eye images and mix before showing on screen. that would do it.

Reply #2 - Jan 26th, 2010, 5:20am

Thanks Victor!  I was hoping to use directX so the driver would take care of the stereo. It seems I will have to do it the hard way...
Reply #3 - Feb 2nd, 2010, 9:38am

Miguel Aragon wrote on Jan 26th, 2010, 5:20am:
Thanks Victor!  I was hoping to use directX so the driver would take care of the stereo. It seems I will have to do it the hard way...

I might do a little more research before you reinvent the wheel. From memory I think the driver might handle it
Reply #4 - Feb 12th, 2010, 10:17am

Miguel Aragon - please keep us posted on your progress with this.  I would love to do something similar.   Smiley
Reply #5 - Feb 12th, 2010, 12:40pm

I'm working on the JNI classes required to interface with the VR920 sdk...
Perhaps we could work on a VR library together?

Just a thought.
Reply #6 - Feb 13th, 2010, 10:25am

Has anyone taken a look at Jadis?  Could this be used...
http://www.openchannelsoftware.com/projects/Jadis
Reply #7 - Feb 14th, 2010, 10:49pm

thanks for your time guys. As Victor noted it seems that stereo can be done with a quadro card but I don't have one to try. As far as I can see any OpenGL solution will have to send the images to the left-rigth buffers (quad buffering). On the other hand, the nvidia 3d vision (direct3D) uses double buffering and alternates between left-right, also the stereo camera is taken care of by the driver. I tried several nvidia demos of regular 3D scenes (no stereo) and they work in stereo automatically. Actually, since those demos were not designed for stereo 3D you can see lots of artifacts from some 2D-based tricks like some billboard sparks and smoke.

I could try to do the left-right drawing by hand and then send the images to the buffers but then the problem is to manually synchronize the glasses via the IR emmiter. I also don't know enough of processing to understand what is going on during the drawing loop.

Jeff's link is very interesting but it uses openGL, so I suppose it needs quad buffer Sad

I will let you know if I can find a good/easy solution. This is a side project I have been doing in late nights, I wish I could spend more time on it.

thanks again!
Reply #8 - Feb 14th, 2010, 11:00pm

That is very cool! I am aiming now for screen-based 3D. VR is still too advanced for what I want/need but if there is anything I can do I will be glad to help.

WebDext wrote on Feb 12th, 2010, 12:40pm:
I'm working on the JNI classes required to interface with the VR920 sdk...
Perhaps we could work on a VR library together

Just a thought.

Reply #9 - Feb 15th, 2010, 5:33am

Miguel Aragon wrote on Feb 14th, 2010, 10:49pm:
Jeff's link is very interesting but it uses openGL, so I suppose it needs quad buffer Sad

Looks like it does the left eye/right eye method as well.
Reply #10 - Mar 18th, 2010, 1:00pm

Just an update, I managed to get stereo 3D in processing but in a not-so-elegant way. We got the new samsung 3D TV (UN55C7000). It has an option to use side-by-side 3D input. Then I just modiffied the stereo example in processing hacks to divide the window in two viewports for my own code. The sketch must run in fullscreen (Sketch->Present). The result is amazing! Then only problem is that you loose half horizontal resolution. Still not bad.

There is a driver from IZ3D that is supposed to give side-by-side full resolution output. I haven't tried yet. I will post if I get it working.

I actually prefer the side-by-side approach instead of the "free" 3D from nvidia vision. I made some simple tests in python-ogre to get direct3D stereo graphics. The nvidia driver gets the 3D working well but there is no control on the 3D effect, for instance there is no way to get things coming out of the screen. I need full control since I am implementing the 3D with head tracking so the model view changes with the viewer's position.

The samsung 3D TV is really cool, it can actually covert 2D content to 3D on the fly. I suppose it uses some kind of parallax and blur detection. If you have a rotating model it gets the 3D effect almost perfectly.

cheers,

Reply #11 - Mar 18th, 2010, 3:37pm

Awesome!
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1