We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpPrograms › Ray-Object Intersection Question
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Ray-Object Intersection Question (Read 637 times)
Ray-Object Intersection Question
Jan 8th, 2010, 8:39am

Hi,

im looking to write a program that will take a set of boxes (3d objects, 6 coordinates each) and set of lines and give out visually and textually the amount of collisions and their coordinates.  

Before i get into learning the Syntax, i wanted to ask if processing is what im looking for?  Im good with java, and sure Ill be able to learnt he Ray-Object intersection algorithms.  im not so sure if Processing is a real programming language, and if its performant enough for this.  

Anyone?

Kind regards from Germany
Re: Ray-Object Intersection Question
Reply #1 - Jan 8th, 2010, 8:45am

Quote:
im not so sure if Processing is a real programming language, and if its performant enough for this.

Processing is actually Java: after some pre-processing, it spits out Java code and compiles that to run it. So, yes, that's a real programming language, quite powerful.

Performance: there are ray-tracing programs written in Java, so I suppose it is performs well enough for that, thus for your needs.
Might depend on number of boxes, rays, and needed rate of computation (ie. frame rate).
Re: Ray-Object Intersection Question
Reply #2 - Jan 10th, 2010, 6:19am

thank you for your reply.  has anyone here ever done this before with processing?
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1