We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpPrograms › Getting around signing an applet.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Getting around signing an applet. (Read 986 times)
Getting around signing an applet.
Jan 1st, 2010, 12:34pm

Hellohello, I know I have read somewhere in the forums something about using a proxy/separate sketch/program or somesuch to trick an applet into accepting data sourced from a 'foreign'  server when hosted online (because I would like my sketch to be hosted on my website, but use data sourced from all over the web, but without going through the business of getting it signed etc).

Could someone redirect me to it please? I have an FTP client installed on my computer (although I literally only know enough about how it works to upload files and delete them), but I believe the trick was to create a sketch to regularly get files from THE web onto MY computer, then upload them to MY web hosting...making it all same-server and good. Yesno?

Thanks! Smiley
Re: Getting around signing an applet.
Reply #1 - Jan 1st, 2010, 1:49pm

"making it all same-server and good"
Yes, that's the spirit, an unsigned applet can freely access the server which delivered it.
The idea is to have a server side script which accepts requests from the applet ("get me this URL"), do the Web access and perhaps some of the parsing of the result, then serve back the data to the applet.

FTP client can't help you, except in uploading the said script onto the server...
Reply #2 - Jan 1st, 2010, 2:07pm

Ok, how might I go about learning to make this mysterious 'server side script' please!? I was guessing that I would be able to do the 'getting url+parsing etc' on my computer then use FTP to get the results onto my server, so at least I have the theory right, but im not sure how to get started! Cheers!
Reply #3 - Jan 1st, 2010, 2:18pm

Server side script can be a PHP script, to name a popular language for this task, but can be also Java (servlets), Python, Ruby, etc. Nearly any language can be used, actually.
But such language must be supported on your server (that's why PHP is popular, as nearly all servers, including free host ones, support it).

Your computer should be out of the loop, one reason being that I doubt it is always on (unlike Web servers), it might have no fixed IP (but there are solutions for that), and so on.
Reply #4 - Jan 1st, 2010, 2:32pm

Hmm, ok thanks I think I need to get onto a PHP forum then and see what I can find out  Shocked  Thank you.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1