We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexDiscussionGeneral Discussion,  Status › Microsoft Vedea - Data Visualization Language
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Microsoft Vedea - Data Visualization Language (Read 2414 times)
Microsoft Vedea - Data Visualization Language
Dec 23rd, 2009, 2:39am

At directorforum.com I came across at an interesting post from Martin Schaefer:

directorforum.com/showthread.php?t=5784

It seems that Microsoft is working on a new visualization software inspired by Processing.
Read the project description at the MSDN blog:

blogs.msdn.com/martinca/archive/2009/12/03/introducing-the-microsoft-visualizati
on-language.aspx
Re: Microsoft Vedea - Data Visualization Language
Reply #1 - Dec 23rd, 2009, 6:01am

I think I'll stick to Processing - can't say I much like the syntax of C# (I've only done a little with it, but that was enough).  For one thing there's a predication for capitals on Properties: just the sort of thing beginners easily overlook...  Still, it's nice to see that Processing is inspiring the likes of Microsoft.
Reply #2 - Dec 23rd, 2009, 7:16am

Title casing of property names is just a style, not a language feature. You can use camelCasing (or any other style, or inconsistent style!) if you want.  Smiley
Reply #3 - Dec 23rd, 2009, 12:41pm

Sure, when you're the one setting the property and method names; but I'm fairly sure that it's a style they adhered to when naming properties/methods of built-in C# classes - see for example the 'Vedea' code example itself: "slider.Value" or Java/C# comparison.

Of course it's something you get used to; but when you're learning to program you've got enough to worry about without having to remember to capitalise things...
Reply #4 - Dec 24th, 2009, 6:33am

Just pinging you on calling it a syntax problem.

To say that the problem is "remember(ing) to capitalise things" ignores the fact that you have to "remember" capitalisation of things in Java too. In the sample Java code on that page you might find "JComponent", "Graphics", "Graphics2D", "String", "JFrame", and other places where capitalisation is important.

I find it a bit silly that "everyday" types "int" and "String" have different capitalisation rules.

Microsoft's IDE for C# has code hinting/completion, so it is unlikely that you type that much or ever have to worry about getting the capitalisation right as you type.

Just out of interest, what style rule do you suggest as an alternative for distinguishing Properties from members?

-spxl
Reply #5 - Dec 24th, 2009, 6:44am

subpixel wrote on Dec 24th, 2009, 6:33am:
I find it a bit silly that "everyday" types "int" and "String" have different capitalisation rules.

As you know, int is a primitive type and a keyword while String is "just" a class. Except that as you said, String, even if that's not a primitive type, is a fundamental type, so much that it got a special syntax (the only overloaded operator in Java, special init (double quotes), etc.). A quite clumsy state.
Reply #6 - Dec 24th, 2009, 7:12am

subpixel - that's fair enough.  I don't have a computer science background so I'll admit that I probably don't use the right terminology a lot of the time; nor do I always appreciate the subtleties of naming conventions Smiley

Still, I suspect a lot of the methods/properties a beginner uses are single words, so they'll be caught out less often if they're not expected to capitalise the first letter.  Perhaps there's a good reason for this approach in C#, but I have to say I don't particularly like it.  Still at least it's not Objective C  Shocked
Reply #7 - Dec 24th, 2009, 10:42am

It's just like using caps and underscores for constants, eg MAX_HEIGHT. A property is not the same as a member (properties have get and/or set methods, and are more like functions, whereas members are directly accessed and are more like ordinary variables), so it makes sense to distinguish them.

Ultimately, everything is case sensitive (including keywords). Code hinting/completion (along with easy to access documentation), using whatever capitalisation rules, is arguably easier than no hinting with everything all lower case (or case insensitive). When reading code (as opposed to writing code), it is handy to know that things are Properties or CONSTANTS or whatever at a glance.

-spxl
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1