We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexDiscussionExhibition › virtual graffiti: wiimote, processing, arduino
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
virtual graffiti: wiimote, processing, arduino (Read 1969 times)
virtual graffiti: wiimote, processing, arduino
Dec 21st, 2009, 6:32am

I used processing as the core of this setup. It also uses arduino based spray can and radio receiver. Plus makes use of Classiclll's wiimote library.

http://www.instructables.com/id/virtual-graffiti

* The spray can has an infra red LED that shines through the projector screen and is seen by the wiimote's camera.
* The wiimote sends the X and Y co-ordinates of the can to the computer via a bluetooth radio link.
* The computer is running a simple painting program that uses a projector to "paint" the lines as you draw with the can. It also takes care of mapping the wiimote camera to the screen using a 4 point calibration system.
* The spray can also detect its distance from the screen and the nozzle pressure: the further you are away the bigger the dot drawn, the harder you press the nozzle, the more opaque the paint dot becomes.
Re: virtual graffiti: wiimote, processing, arduino
Reply #1 - Dec 21st, 2009, 1:08pm

Impressive.

One question: does the infra red beam from the can need to be perpendicular to the projection screen for it to work?  i.e. does it need to point towards the camera?  My guess is that the answer is yes; but I'm hoping to be proved wrong Smiley
Reply #2 - Jan 7th, 2010, 7:48am

blindfish wrote on Dec 21st, 2009, 1:08pm:
Impressive.

One question: does the infra red beam from the can need to be perpendicular to the projection screen for it to work  i.e. does it need to point towards the camera  My guess is that the answer is yes; but I'm hoping to be proved wrong Smiley

Based on this info on the site: "The spray can has an infra red LED that shines through the projector screen and is seen by the wiimote's camera."  I'm guessing 'no', since the infrared dot would be visible on the backside of the canvas regardless of the angle. In that case, this concept is brilliant, if not, it is still very cool! Smiley

Reply #3 - Jan 7th, 2010, 9:38am

I guess you calibrate the program once, then you don't need to care of anything as long as the wiimote can see the IR led (there are videos on youtube showing wiimote-driven led tracking where the guys don't point towards the screen).

Quote:
The spray can also detect its distance from the screen and the nozzle pressure

The arduino part is very interesting! Awesome result!
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1