We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpIntegration › Ip adress - Geoloc
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Ip adress - Geoloc (Read 982 times)
Ip adress - Geoloc
Dec 19th, 2009, 3:52am

Hello,

I'm Maxime Bodereau, and i've would like to make a Logotype on Processing, but i'm a beginner.

So i would like to know how do you get ip adress, or more interesting, just get the city where the internet user goes on my website ??

It's just for change the animation of this Logo, not for spy.

Thanks...
Re: Ip adress - Geoloc
Reply #1 - Dec 19th, 2009, 9:23am

When users go to your site, they request a page. The server receiving the request have necessarily the IP address of the users, otherwise it wouldn't know where to send back the page!
If that's a dynamic page, eg. generated by PHP, the script generating the page have access to this information (IP). It can use a Web service to deduce the (approximative!) location associated to the IP domain.
So, basically, at least in the first steps, that's a server-side problem... Smiley
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1