We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexDiscussionExhibition › Matter collider
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Matter collider (Read 991 times)
Matter collider
Dec 17th, 2009, 3:41pm

After some rather lengthy discussion with Giles and liudr I was inspired to add some attractor forces to an old sketch that had already seen some improvements as a result of aforesaid discussions.  The net result is now on OpenProcessing:

http://www.openprocessing.org/visuals/?visualID=6602

Thanks to both Giles and liudr for providing the inspiration Smiley
Re: Matter collider
Reply #1 - Dec 18th, 2009, 5:11am

Really cool. I remember a sci-fi novel by Stephen Baxter in which people live in a universe where gravity is a million times stronger than it is in ours (or maybe a thousand...not sure). Anyway, people live on these tiny worlds, and you can actually feel the gravity from another person tugging on you when they walk past you.

I was reminded of this by your sketch. If you made the window bigger, and the balls smaller, you should be able to have a cluster of balls in the middle and then grab some of the balls and throw them so they orbit around the central cluster..... that would a very fun toy to play with. Maybe you could have two big clusters orbiting around each other (like a binary star)?
Re: Matter collider
Reply #2 - Dec 19th, 2009, 11:11am

Thanks.  I've just uploaded some changes, including optional polarity as inspired by your sketch (not sure I've handled it the same way as you as I couldn't get online whilst I was working on it).  See my comment on OP for full details.  There's now plenty to play with; though it might be interesting to give a mix and match set of options for attraction/repulsion.

As for resizing the sketch - in my experience the larger you make it the more it affects performance (though there's definitely some optimisation that could be done to compensate); but it's coded in such a way that you can set the sketch size as required and controls, windows etc. will all be in the right place - that's one advantage of avoiding too many magic numbers Wink
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1