We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexDiscussionExhibition › FlakeMaker
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
FlakeMaker (Read 1111 times)
FlakeMaker
Dec 15th, 2009, 12:54am

FlakeMaker (www.flakemaker.com) is a fun little site I developed where you can design snowflakes and send them to your friends and families!

While I've built hundreds of processing sketches, this is the first real live Processing web app I've deployed. The client is written entirely in processing with a PHP back-end.

Would love to hear your suggestions!

Also I used applet-fu (http://products.metamolecular.com/2009/06/08/better-applet-deployment-with-applet-fu) for deployment, which might be something to consider as an option for Processing export in the future. Has anyone else tried this approach? I was trying to deal with browsers that don't have Java installed. It still needs a bit of tweaking to support all browsers on all platforms and fail gracefully if an insufficient version of java isn't there.
Re: FlakeMaker
Reply #1 - Dec 15th, 2009, 2:47am

That's really nice Smiley

My only suggestion would be to add one line of instruction: "Start a cut from the paper edge..."  I was flailing around for 20 seconds trying to figure out how it worked (the colour-coded ellipse isn't entirely obvious) but then it was easy and really neat to see the result of a cut in real time.
Reply #2 - Dec 15th, 2009, 2:19pm

Great fun. I made a snowflake and added it to the collection. Why can't you cut in the middle, though? Double click could just close the shape....
Reply #3 - Dec 16th, 2009, 5:08am

Excellent!
The fact we can make self-intersecting polygons allows to do intricate stuff.
Very nice idea, well made.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1