We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpVideo Capture,  Movie Playback,  Vision Libraries › Recording video AND sound how do I sync
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Recording video AND sound? how do I sync? (Read 1900 times)
Recording video AND sound? how do I sync?
Dec 14th, 2009, 10:29pm

I searched, but couldn't find any information that helped me.  I am trying to make a QuickTime file from a video capture with sound input.  The video portion, of course, is no problem, but I can't find a way to simultaneously record video and sound from the sketch, into one file.  

If there is any solution... help!  Even an external program might work, any suggestions would be really great.  Thanks.
Re: Recording video AND sound? how do I sync?
Reply #1 - Dec 15th, 2009, 12:25pm

Hi squin,
not sure if I get you right here, but I had a similar issue

The way I solved it is as follows:
1) Recorded the sound seperately (easy one)
2) Recorded the animation, not directly the video but the data used to render one frame
3a) Ran the animation again, not realtime but reading the data-structure with reduced framerate
3b) Paralell writing the movie, using MovieMaker (framerate-parameter set here to the actual framerate of the original Sketch  - Using MJPEG-codec with high quality)
4) Rendered Movie from MJPEG QT with sound to another H.264 quicktime. (You can use any Video-Editing program, I actually used ableton life here where I generate the music, too.)

I your machine is fast, you may skip 2) and 3a)!
Sounds a bit complicated but this works perfect and easy for me.
There may be other solutions, but that's the one I came up with to avoid frame-drops and keep the music synced, even at high resolutions.
One (yet unfinished) result can be seen, in case you are interested, on vimeo.com if you search for "f'alasifa" there. (As a "newbie" on this board I am not allowed to post links yet Wink

BTW: I am not using Processing directly, but ruby-processing
- this should not matter here.

Regards, Mathias
Re: Recording video AND sound? how do I sync?
Reply #2 - May 27th, 2010, 6:13pm

hi all!

sorry for posting maybe a bit too late, but i'm working at a very similar project and I wanted to know if someone can give me an idea about this.

I have got all the recording part. Now I'm in need of an automatic solution to encode video and audio in a the-smaller-the-better video file. I found ffmpeg which seems to be a valid solution, but the implementation is not so simple. Unfortunately, I want to build a project where the user doesn't has to encode by hand the video starting from image frames and audio.

I hope that there's a simple solution to this. Please, let me know.

Luca
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1