We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpIntegration › How to Tabbed functions in external IDE
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
How to ? Tabbed functions in external IDE (Read 1446 times)
How to ? Tabbed functions in external IDE
Dec 13th, 2009, 6:23pm

I am starting to use Xcode as an IDE for Processing and so far all works fine thanks to this template at :dm.ncl.ac.uk/joescully/blog/?p=507
My problem arises when i want to declare functions in separate files, like one does in the original Processing IDE with Tabs.

Can i still do that or do i now have to stick those functions in classes ?
Has anyone got ideas or examples on how to do that in XCode or Eclipse ?
So far im creating new .java files in the src dir, but im not sure how i should start writing code in them. Any help is much appreciated, thanks
Re: How to ? Tabbed functions in external IDE
Reply #1 - Dec 13th, 2009, 7:01pm

I think i have found the answer, when using an external IDE like Eclipse or Xcode, one can´t just declare functions in external .java files as if they where tabbed .pde files, instead one has to create a class that is parented to your main sketch/java file.
A better and full explanation can be found at the bottom of this Processing  learning page :processing.org/learning/eclipse/

Correct me if i´m wrong, thanks ^^
Reply #2 - Dec 14th, 2009, 2:01am

No, you have found yourself the right answer... Congrats!
Note: in the PDE, if you put various things in different .pde files, ie. new tabs (not .java), Processing with "magically" just stitch together these files in a linear way under the main class it creates automatically.

When using an external IDE, you gain some facilities (navigation, debugging...) useful in large applications, but you also loose some convenient shortcuts like this one (must add a class, a main, manage the PApplet, etc.).
Reply #3 - Dec 14th, 2009, 11:57am

Thanks PhiLho for confirming my thoughts Wink
It is indeed not as easy as working in the processing IDE, but when mastered it would allow one to work on oF and Processing, side by side, using the same environment, so i think/hope it´s worth the hassle ^^
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1