We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Admins (Read 3492 times)
Admins
Dec 9th, 2009, 12:22pm

Since alot of people post multiple posts lately and often post in the wrong section (exhibition, or simply syntax for every question possible) i thought about why arent there any more admins here. All I can do all the time is to tell people to delete the other posts and not to post in the exhibition section. I am not asking to become an admin but i was just wondering why not starting a poll to select one or two people who already do their best to keep the forum clean and organized just to help you, casey and ben...
i dont know YaBB very well but there is probably some kind of rights managment that offers some people the rights to move or delete double posts. Just a thought i had.

Re: Admins
Reply #1 - Dec 11th, 2009, 12:47pm

Cedric,

Sounds like a great plan. I police a few few parts the board regularly, but it's too large and I'm too busy with life for all of it. Ben and I moderated heavily for the first few years but are not able to continue with the same detail anymore.

I currently moderate these:

Events, Publications, Opportunities
General Discussion, Status

And sojamo moderates:
Libraries, Tool Development

It sounds like we need to take action. So, we need volunteers for:

Exhibition
All sections in Programming Questions & Help

Hopefully a few more people can join formally.

Casey

Reply #2 - Dec 11th, 2009, 3:09pm

I definitely would as I spend a lot of time checking the board frequently throughout the whole day anyway.

I believe there are some others that would help. For example, PhiLho comes to my mind. He is a really helpful and smart guy. also blindfish, antiplastik and vic... They are all quite active.

Reply #3 - Dec 12th, 2009, 12:55am

Indeed, I would be glad to help from time to time.

I hate multiple posts.

I hate multiple posts.

I hate multiple posts.

Grin
Reply #4 - Dec 12th, 2009, 2:06am

+1
Obviously, we are a number of people regularly checking the whole board (well, I avoid 3D, sound, video, electronics where I have little knowledge) several times per day.
If we are numerous enough (but carefully selected!), one missing (in holidays, busy elsewhere...) wouldn't hamper the proper management of the forum.

With lot of moderators, it would be nice to lift the restriction on URLs (need 5 posts to post them).
Even before this restriction, I saw very little spam, and we would be able to eradicate it quite quickly.
It would avoid posts like activating non-latin font or How to Calculate a point on a line... where people make dummy posts to get the right count, or with "decorated" URLs hard to use.
Reply #5 - Dec 23rd, 2009, 4:02pm

I'm happy to open up the moderation to you. Cedric, antiplastic, PhiLho, which boards would you like to watch? I've mentioned the ones already covered by myself and Andreas below.
Reply #6 - Dec 24th, 2009, 2:29am

Maybe there might be some overlapping of responsibilities (ie. having 2 or more moderators on one board)? So when one is away for some time, the other(s) can still moderate.

Might need some more precise rules, perhaps. Should we move pure questions (ie. without complete code shown or linked) asked in Exhibition, even if they are about a work-in-progress (if undisclosed)?
I am happy to leave you the General Questions section, as it might be hard to sort them... Smiley
I suppose all threads in Software Bugs must be locked with a word of warning/explanation...
Not sure if we must move questions in Syntax Questions (eg. those about 3D, Electronics, Video, etc. not directly syntax related) since it is currently a hodge-podge of questions about anything...

I am voluntary for Syntax Questions, Programs, Other Libraries, Integration, Processing Implementations (even if I don't practice other implementations...), boards in Suggestions & Bugs and in Processing Development. The latter two sections are quite quiet in general.

Note: I gave above the list of boards I regularly check, excluding those already covered by moderators. If you prefer to separate responsibilities, obviously I don't mean to take over everything, leaving nothing to other volunteers! Smiley
Reply #7 - Dec 24th, 2009, 5:59am

Like PhiLho i mostly check Syntax Questions and Programs since this is just where most of the questions are asked.
I also check all the other parts of the board and look at those questions asked. most of the time, i can answer the other Library, 3d, Sound, video questions as they are mostly basic. But i wouldnt consider myself a pro in any of these categories.
The ones where I probably dont know much are these two : Integration & Processing Implementations but I guess these are perfectly moderated by PhiLho as he as a lot of knowledge in these fields.

But I would say having two people covering one board wouldnt be bad. So we can guarantee that most problems will be solved within some hours even when somebody is gone for some days.
Reply #8 - Dec 25th, 2009, 10:58am

I would be happy with any or all of All sections in Programming Questions & Help.
Reply #9 - Dec 25th, 2009, 4:27pm

Just wanted to say that I support all the nominees... They've all been very active and helpful in the forums.
Reply #10 - Jan 31st, 2010, 4:51pm

Hey Casey,
as there are alot of double posts again tonight, i thought about the admins again. Was there a special reason why we stopped this discussion ?
Reply #11 - Feb 1st, 2010, 11:06pm

OK. The deed is done. I added Cedric, PhiLho, and antiplastik as moderators to the categories that I thought made sense. I hope this proves to be helpful for everyone.
Reply #12 - Feb 2nd, 2010, 1:00am

Cool, it works, I was able to remove several duplicate questions in Syntax. Well, once I logged out and in... Smiley
Many thanks, less answers to ask to remove duplicates and such...  Cheesy
Of course, we have to double check the operations we are about to do: with great powers comes great responsibilities... (you know the anthem! thanks to Marvel  Grin).
Reply #13 - Feb 3rd, 2010, 4:17am

Great, thanks for the trust, I can only agree with PhiLho...
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1